Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Fighting Forum Bloat

So I feel pretty strongly about this, but it warrants some discussion:

I want to set the maximum age of any post to 1 year without activity. After that I am going to write a plugin that memorializes any older posts into static html pages with indexes (by month) and they are removed from the forum itself. A link to the 'archives' will be places on the sidebar here.

The goal here is to fight forum bloat, and keep the database from becoming a huge horrible monster that is unwieldy and slow as all hell. The idea for this policy is to prevent speed issues as I've seen at other forums as they grow, with no end in site. We aren't google, and we don't have infinite computational power or storage. The archives will of course be searchable by google, and I'll put a custom google search on those pages.

Thoughts?
= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."

Comments

• You mean........not like my million e-mails.
    JasonP
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Kenny so you are one of those people, lol
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I am all for it. In addition to demanding huge amounts of physical resources, zombie threads really disrupt the organic ebb and flow of a forum. Who really likes it when someone on another forum will post on a thread from 2007 "did you ever build this? what were your thoughts on that woofer? are they still for sale?"

Odds are if anything had happened relevant to the thread, it would not be buried. That being said, some people love to have their threads float to the top via the scurrilous "bump" post. At least post a dad joke or something, sheez.
    I have a signature.
  • Who would do that JR? :astonished:
  • I CONFESS! I posted requested material on an old post. Sniff......sniff. :'(
  • The old stuff will be viewable, of course - and the original poster will probably be around to answer direct questions.
    I have a signature.
  • If the search engine is hardy enough, there would be no need to repeat old questions or reposts.