Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

For when I buy a real house...

I will build a bigger pair of mains. Current plans are the TM will be covered with the big Beston planar and the Tang Band 6" sammich cone. Woofer to be determined, but I am looking at just a few options:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-12-woofers/sb-acoustics-sb34nrx75-6-12-woofer/

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-12-woofers/sb-acoustics-sb34nrxl75-8-12-woofer/

Are both high on my list. Very high. 

Also in consideration:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/sb23nbacs45-8-8-black-aluminum-cone/ (a pair in parallel)

https://www.parts-express.com/hivi-lk8a-8--sandwich-cone-woofer--297-712 (a pair in parallel) 

Keep in mind, this will not even be started for months. I will likely change my mind, but I believe the TM portion will be good enough to warrant some nice woofers. 
I have a signature.
kenrhodes

Comments

• Wow. Either version would be awesome.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Hard to find 10-12" woofers of a high end nature these days. What the fuck is up with that?

So yeah, my FB friends know I have been house hunting lately... Great excite about the one I am currently working on. 
    I have a signature.
  • Happy house hunting JR!

While perhaps not “high end”, I am pretty satisfied with the sound of the low end of the RS270P. 

Maybe best bet is a pair of custom handmade Hifiside 12s!  B)
    kenrhodeshifiside
  • jr@mac said:
    Hard to find 10-12" woofers of a high end nature these days. What the fuck is up with that?

So yeah, my FB friends know I have been house hunting lately... Great excite about the one I am currently working on. 
    You could always use a pair of the Rival 176 woofers for the low end.... 
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • What do have against 18" woofers?  ;)

Ron
  • Nothing against 18" woofers, at all. I have often considered stepping up to active and using a side firing 18" woofer in a bigass build.

I might have a sensitivity mismatch if I use the pair of Rival 8" per side. They are each 89db so two in parallel is ~95db, but there will necessarily be boundary gain due to the lower woofer being close to the floor. This design may already be dead an buried due to this, at least with the fancy Tang Band pulling midrange duties. Not sure what I currently have to do midrange duty that will play low enough and loud enough. Hmm...
    I have a signature.
  • Most dual 8's would have that issue, unless you can find some 12 or 16 ohm drivers or subwoofers. I like the SB12 inch you have posted - the 10 inchers sound very nice, but apart from Zaph's design, i don't know of any using the SB12 inch woofer.
  • i have too may woofers, and mids and tweeters, and still searching for / lusting after more high end ones....  :#

somehow i just don't seem to have the one which i need and the one which i get doesn't fit in with what i have...
  • edited November 2019
    Yup, not looking good for ya, JR. Go ahead and send a pair of those Rivals to me....
    jr@mac
  • why just a pair, all quads should remain together... Appreciate your effort to put the quad together JR... They will be in great company!
    6thplanet
  • I think I might end up with a MTMWW design with these. Tweeter and mid will change, however. Let me dig around. 
    I have a signature.
  • So I will start the list right now. Keep in mind my full time amp is more than capable of driving 4 ohm loads - in fact it will likely drive a 2 ohm load. I am not concerned about paralleling two eight ohm mids above two eight ohm woofers.

Tang Band W5-2143, W4-1879 (oofdah what a cost, though) or one of the Scan Speak 10F variants might be a good start. 

I have a signature.
  • the TB are still on sale... time to grab another pair - though they might be miles apart in T/S, but at least they'll look similar!
  • I'm basically shooting for at least a 92db summed sensitivity, here. 
    I have a signature.
  • dual Anarchy's? keep the 6" format?
  • What about dual ZA14s? Those are a mighty fine midrange driver, and the price is right..
  • Anarchy not sensitive enough, and the ZA14 while a great driver, look pretty cheap and not what I am looking for. 
    I have a signature.
  • re: or one of the Scan Speak 10F variants
    I've drooled at those Thiel Scan 10Fs on Mad several times, but I keep coming back to Vance's tests where the distortion is really much higher than I'd consider "high end". So, they are off my list...
  • Don't skimp on this build, Scan-Speak 18WE/4542T is a perfect fit ;)

If you must cut corners, 18M/4631T also fits the bill for a single driver midrange solution.

ani_101rjj45ThumperTom
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • The Revelator 7" fits the bill, to be sure. The Ellipticor might fit the "pay more than you get" side of things, though. 
    I have a signature.
  • The scan rev mid gets my vote, also the Satori 6" mid, it's on sale right now...
  • If you are willing to wait and are not unobtanium to diyers, what about AE TD6Ms for the mids? Seem to tick all the right boxes. 
  • Those look great, actually.
    I have a signature.
  • edited November 2019
    I see I can buy the Volt mid at Solen, I thought the ATC was "you gotta know someone" availability.
    I have a signature.
  • Last I knew, the ATC was NLA to DIYers.
  • OK JR, how about this Morel 10" in a closed box to use with your TB mid?  An interesting driver that does not get much press.
    https://www.parts-express.com/morel-mw-1075-10-woofer--297-045

• I think progress has passed that poor Morel by.
    tajanes
    I have a signature.