Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Tweeter to mate to SEAS L16RN

Hey gang, Dan is obliging me with the woofers in his for sale thread, and I was wondering what would be a nice compliment for these in a crewcab pickup with the woofer in the lower door and the tweeter in the A-pillar.  The A-pillar accepts a 1" tweeter with a little finessing, and at first blush I was thinking the Vifa NE25VTS-04.

Solid match?  I haven't chose an amplifier yet but not too concerned about that aspect and head unit will be active capable.

Thanks!

Comments

• Whatever you choose I’d shoot for something that can cross pretty low given the big distance between the drivers.
  • is 2K low enough?  
  • edited January 2020
    It’s hard to say. Traditionally no, but the car is a unique environment where there are so many reflections and other crazy stuff going on that you can get away with stuff that would otherwise be taboo, like mounting your tweeter several feet from the mid.

I guess all I can say is whatever you choose try to get something that can go as low as you can given your size constraints. The nice thing about car audio is you can do all sorts of things with DSP, time alignment, and steep crossover filters.

I have always had the best luck keeping the tweeter low as well such as in a teardrop shaped kick panel speaker. I know the tweeter will end up having to deal with occupants legs, the steering column, etc. but I always have found that to sound and image better than high mounted tweeters. That said though I have never done anything crazy like a pillar pods that mount a Tweeter and a small mid in the A pillar. 

• I would go with a 2 inch full ranger at 800 Hz.  Maybe a Peerless TC9 and go lower.
  • Well, the customer said he isn't against cutting the door panel to put something in, but the budget doesn't allow for labor to do fiberglass work or anything crazy.  

I'm thinking I'll roll with the A-pillar mount, and the worst that happens is if the sound isn't satisfactory I tear off the hot glue and move it down to the woofer as the aesthetics of the A-pillar won't be ruined.

Thanks fellas, I'll fiddle with angles too in the A-pillar before moving on.  I don't think I'll have a lot of room behind there though.....

The full ranger is an idea, but not necessary if I put them tight, correct?
  • Put the tweeter on the dash and point it towards the windshield? 
    sftrombone
  • For something small that will cross low, what about the Aurasound Whisper that Linkwitz used with a slightly different version of the L16 in the Pluto design?
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • KB, I think that is the original orientation of the stock tweeter and where I was going to start initially.

Scott, if I knew the guy was knowledgeable about stereo systems I would trust using these but feel this is a driver that could be blown easily if not careful due to wanting more volume, whaddya think?
  • joeybutts said:
    KB, I think that is the original orientation of the stock tweeter and where I was going to start initially.

Scott, if I knew the guy was knowledgeable about stereo systems I would trust using these but feel this is a driver that could be blown easily if not careful due to wanting more volume, whaddya think?
    Also, my ignorant self is thinking the Vifa or maybe the SB 29?
  • Thanks wolf!  Where would you cross that sucka, 1500ish?

Well shoot, you guys are leaning me toward a small full ranger, and after measuring it seems I may be able to squeeze one in the A-pillar.  
    So, on that note, tc9, TB, or something else?  Or robust tweeter?  
  • I would think 700-800 would suit really well.
  • Sorry wolf, you think this is as fragile or potentially for a novice guy cranking on the volume?
  • That's what I figured, just wanted to be sure.
    Welp.  Might be the ticket.  Appreciate it!  Excited to implement, will be my first time using this type of setup....