Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

10f/8414 vs 10f/8424

Does anybody have first hand experience with these two?  Just wondering if there is a discernible difference in their abilities or if they are both admirable performers.  I believe I've seen a lot of reviews on the 8414 say it's amazing for the price, but a relabeled 8424 is on sale for half price and I can hide the sky blue frame behind the door panel.  

Thanks for any insight!
kenrhodes

Comments

• No first hand expoerience, but comparing them based on the 3rd party testing seems to indicate the only real difference in the smaller magnet version is the T/S parameters.

Zaph tested the big magnet 4 ohm model 10F/4424, and AudioXpress tested the small magnet 8414.

If you can deal with the frame colour, the Thiel buyouts are great value, though in a car door you'll probably get a better natural low end response from the small magnet version with higher Qts. Nothing EQ can't fix though.
    joeybutts
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • thanks!  The low end will be handled by under seat woofers and an IB subwoofer for the lowest so not tooo concerned about low end extension from these.  

The woofer hides behind the door panel so no issues with asthetics.  This feels like a tremendous value and right where I would like to be performance wise for my car.  

Are there any other 3.5-4" mids you would consider around the $50 pricepoint?  These seem like a steal.....
  • joeybutts said:
    ...Are there any other 3.5-4" mids you would consider around the $50 pricepoint?  These seem like a steal.....
    TC9 for ~$13
    joeybutts
  • Interesting......do you think in an automotive environment the tc9 would keep up and handle high levels in the pass band it would be used, ~200 - 2200?  I dont always get silly with the volume but every once in a while I'm a little less than responsible with the SPL.....  for reference the substage is an Aura MR18.4 IB.....
  • Hey Joey,

I'm not a car audio guy so I have no idea if the requirements are different from home use. However a couple Curt and I've used in projects that fit your budget and sound exceptional, IMHO.

SB12CAC on sale at Madisound for $44
    Vifa NE123 from Madisound $63.81

I like the SB CAC driver based on our use of the SB15CAC best but The NE123 is an excellent driver that I also really like.

HTH

Jim
    joeybutts
  • Joey,
    The TC9FD, while being a great driver, won't do 200 Hz at an acceptable level for car audio.
    joeybuttsrjj45
  • PWRRYD said:
    Joey,
    The TC9FD, while being a great driver, won't do 200 Hz at an acceptable level for car audio.
    100% agree. 
  • Thanks Jim, unfortunately those both are too deep for my application. :(  but they both are added on my list of drivers for future use :)
    Thanks for verifying Craig.  I think I'm gonna roll with the 10f... worst that happens is they get repurposed.

I have a pair of discontinued small format wavecors that may work, just remembered....I'll have to look tomorrow at what model they are....

• PWRRYD said:
    Joey,
    Yeah you’re right, sorry I didn’t mean to give misinformation. I got the 10F in my mind and my immediate response is TC9 for price/performance in the same size. I neglected the environment and completely missed the 200hz requirement. My bad, thanks for catching and correcting this Craig.
  • I love that little driver.  I've used it in 3 different diy projects.  It just doesn't have the balls for this application.