Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Pick your favourite shape

Summer is fast approaching, so I am thinking about what I want to build this year. I am thinking a big 3-way this time. I have a couple design ideas, thought I'd take a poll and see what the people's choice is, and if anyone has other creative suggestions. I'm really trying to avoid just making a big rectangular box. 

Drivers for this design are:
Dayton AMT3-4 (err the OEM for Dayton, these ones are not Dayton brand but otherwise appear identical)
Wavecor WF120BD04
Vifa M26WR-09 (on the back side will be a CSS APR-12)

Option 1 - I like to call this the grain elevator design. This doesn't necessarily need to be 2 separate cabinets, that's just what I drew up.
Option 2 - I call this the torpedo design. I think this may be easier to build, and I'm currently leaning in this direction. It's 15 inches at the widest point, and only 5 inches wide at the top.

Other ideas welcome.
Design Choices
  1. Pick Your Favourite Design15 votes
    1. Grain Elevator
      40.00%
    2. Torpedo
      60.00%
I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
ScottS

Comments

• Tough choice , kind of digging on both. Maybe the torpedo a little more?
    dcibelGowajoeybutts
  • Going for the Grain Elevator just because I have always wanted to build a set of Paul Carmody's Tarkus speakers.
  • I like #2, even though Dan N. built a set that looked like that.
  • Grain elevator if you can pull off one flat baffle
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I like both but the 2nd one I like the clean lines.
  • Your 2nd one is similar to one that I've started
  • I recognize those woofers. Tell me about midrange flange.
    I have a signature.
  • I like the planar tweeter :)
  • jr@mac said:
    I recognize those woofers. Tell me about midrange flange.
    Please tell me about the woofers and mid!
  • Squares or diamonds, that's the real question ;)

Thanks for everyone's opinions, I think I'm going to go with option #2, it appeals to me more. If I wanted to get real creative I could route some accent in it, or some inlay work if I wanted to make things real difficult ;)

Now to pick the baffle material. The local shop has some nice acacai countertop boards, many smaller pieces together like a butcher's block. They also have a few big pieces of rich mahogany...Hmm.
    dynamo
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • your little chevron accents fit nicely......maybe some black ebony inlay.....or kingwood......  

man I need to do a build soon.....
    dcibel
  • dcibel said:
    Squares or diamonds, that's the real question ;)

Thanks for everyone's opinions, I think I'm going to go with option #2, it appeals to me more. If I wanted to get real creative I could route some accent in it, or some inlay work if I wanted to make things real difficult ;)

Now to pick the baffle material. The local shop has some nice acacai countertop boards, many smaller pieces together like a butcher's block. They also have a few big pieces of rich mahogany...Hmm.
    Oooo I love the chevrons, definitely sold me on that shape!
    dcibel
  • 6thplanet said:

I knew there was something similar I had seen before, those are it. I think those are gorgeous.
  • They sounded great too!
  • Yes- they did! Dan's Echelons were incredible.
    Nick has an AMT, not a planar.
  • Sorry dcibel for derailing your thread a bit..

What is the woofer in the Echelons? TC?