Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Scanspeak 10F/8414G10 Discovery 4 inch Fullrange

I encourage you to read the review before getting upset with me.  Please.  

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/scanspeak_discovery_10f8414g10_fullrange/

Cliff's:  Really good fullrange driver.  Nice on/off-axis response linearity with the apparent breakup pushed out to ~16khz.  A mild rise in output on the top end (to help combat the otherwise falling response off-axis) that could be easily flattened via DSP with a shelf filter if one were so inclined.  Great usability above 300-500hz for higher output (to help overcome the mid-80's sensitivity).  Truly an impressive driver for only $73/each (as of this writing).

If needing to use this as a midrange, though, I'd still recommend the actual 4-ohm midrange version of this driver if for no other reason than to gain back the sensitivity this one loses thanks to its fullrange purpose.

squamishdroc

Comments

• If needing to use this as a midrange, though, I'd still recommend the actual 4-ohm midrange version of this driver if for no other reason than to gain back the sensitivity this one loses thanks to its fullrange purpose.

FWIW unless you need the extra sensitivity, there's really no benefit in using a 4 ohm version for a midrange.

If it wasn't for a great deal on some skookum Rival drivers, I'd probably be using the 10F in my next project.

erinh
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I agree.  This one actually measures a little more linear but the 4-ohm version gives you a boost in sensitivity and a little less distortion in the range you need for a true midrange.

I really like this fullrange version, though.  An excellent drive unit.  And incredible value.  IMHO, of course.
  • Are there any rival small format mids 4" or smaller?
  • There's definitely some 152mm ones out there, not a bad size for a midrange.
    ani_101
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • ani_101 said:
    Are there any rival small format mids 4" or smaller?
    The several times I've inquired, Rival has a very large MOQ for the 4 inch mid, so none (so far) for us DIY.
    ani_101
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!