Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The BMWs (Birch Maple Walnut)

The catch up on the backlog of projects continues. I picked up the Peerless HDS 835025 and the DA25BG08-06, each when they were on sale for half off or better. 

I snagged some pieces of Walnut that I wanted to use for baffles. I used that with some leftover birdseye maple and birch plywood to come up with some cabs for what seems to be a pretty nice speaker for cheap.

Comments

• No stain or dye, just General Finishes Arm R Seal
    Silver1omorjj45

• I had my router base in the wrong holes and I made the tweeter recess too big. I filled it for now with black rtv to just look like an accent ring. I may make an aluminum trim ring down the road but it doesn’t bother me in the mean time.
    rjj45
  • Yasssssss.  Gorgeous.  Well recovered as well.

And I'm a sucker for the name. 😊  beautiful cabs.
  • Thank you sir!
  • Nice conception and execution. What did you use on the BB sides? More GF Arm R Seal?
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited April 2020
    Thanks, yeah the whole thing is just covered in a few coats of arm r seal, sanded with 220 between the first two costs. Real simple. Small splash of Japan Dryer sped things up a lot too.

The sides are actually just that cheap Russian birch they sell in 2x2 panels at Menards, not truly Baltic Birch (whatever difference that might make I’m not sure).
  • edited April 2020
    I've looked at that stack of Russian birch panels at Menards.  If you go through the stack you can find quite a few really nice ones.  Unfortunately they are like 20" × 22.5".  For smaller projects they are great for the price.
  • dynamo said:
    Thanks, yeah the whole thing is just covered in a few coats of arm r seal, sanded with 220 between the first two costs. Real simple. Small splash of Japan Dryer sped things up a lot too.

The sides are actually just that cheap Russian birch they sell in 2x2 panels at Menards, not truly Baltic Birch (whatever difference that might make I’m not sure).
    Pretty sure that I am getting Russian BB locally, in fact I saw a sticker in Cyrillic on one of the sheets.
    My test piece of 18 mm has 13 equal thickness plies. Even Troel's builds don't show radically different BB,
    so origin may be a moot point.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Those look great - I like the combo of the 3 different woods👍👍
  • dynamo said:

My local HD started carrying those birch panels a few months back - they are full of voids - pretty crap stuff.
  • edited April 2020
    I’ve not found any voids yet in the Menards stuff (which is surprising because Menards is known for having shitty lumber). Few knots which can make for edge discoloration but that’s about it.

Ive been generally unimpressed with HDs plywood.