Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Putting together a box o' drivers...

Will be a while, as it is slow going in my garage, but I have a box of drivers I am putting together. I am in the process of reducing my inventory, so as per my usual method I will not be asking much for these. 

So far (if I recall correctly), these are in the box:

Qty: 4 Gradient Axis 7" woofers. Visually similar to the Dayton RS paper woofers, but with a different motor. The Fs is slightly higher, Xmax slightly lower, but impedance at Fs is considerably higher than Dayton. I think they end up being a few db more sensitive than the Dayton. 

Qty: 2 Gradient Axis high sensitivity 5" or 6" midrange. These are very nice. I think someone here did a build with these last year. 

Qty: 5 MCM Audio Select 1" soft dome tweeters. These are great tweeters, with world class distortion above 2K. Very nicely designed rear chamber, copper cap. 

Qty: 2 Dayton Audio 4" square frame things, use the plastic frame, aluminum cones, you know the ones. Probably make for a very solid dedicated midrange if you are willing to deal with the square frame. They measure 104mm x 104mm which is also the dimensions of the Beston ribbon tweeter. Can't remember if these are 4 or 8 ohm. 

Qty: 2 Small form factor ring radiators. Not sure they are made by Tymphany, likely a Chinese clone, but they have some pretty copper nipples. At some point I measured them, good consistency and Fs somewhere in the 900 range IIRC. Flat above 2K. 

Qty: 2 MCM Audio Select 55-3669. These are the black anodized, copper-capped version of the Barbie Girl woofers. These are incredibly good for the money, and hold their own against any number of woofers under $50-$60. A pair in a tower around 1 cubic foot will play loud to 40Hz, with decent cone control below Fb. JP has done some advanced modeling along those lines, make him design the bass alignment for you. 

There is still room in the box for some stuff, as I sort things out I will top it off and send it out for the cost of shipping. All or nothing. Some very nice potential builds in this box, guys. I will also cart it to Iowa this October if any attendees are interested in a pile of very nice, essentially free (you may need to ply me with a few alcoholic drinks while there) drivers, although I'd just as soon get that space in the garage sooner than later.

I a working off memory here, so there may be other drivers or missing drivers than what this list calls out. I will try and finish the sorting process this weekend and update here. 

Stay tuned!
I have a signature.
BrannigansLawGowa

Comments

• You are a good man, JR!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I need to put together a box.....
  • following! I like this idea, I should consider putting together a box as well

• Heh, I could likely make several...
  • Used the Gradient Axis axp-06 6" w/da25bg and sd215.  I'd say the 6" is definitely only a mid.  With my limited experience it sounds pretty good.  Plays very loud before any audible distress and will give more than the da25bg or sd215 can take. 
    I've been looking for an affordable (free time is nice but a paycheck is, well ... )  8" or 10" as the 'Sadies' need a bass bin. 
  • Wolf said:
    Heh, I could likely make several...
    Most of us can. 
    I have a signature.
  • Kornbread said:
    I've been looking for an affordable (free time is nice but a paycheck is, well ... )  8" or 10" as the 'Sadies' need a bass bin. 
    Don't dismiss the MCM 55-5670 8".  I am very impressed with them.  I think their normal price is $39 each.  For an affordable 10" I really like the Peerless 830-668 that Paul used in the Tarkus, only I think it's much better in a sealed box.
  • (Added 5/3/2020)

Qty: 2 Peerless by Tymphany DA25 something or other, 6 ohm dome tweeters.

I have a signature.
  • Spoken for!
    I have a signature.
  • Some NOS Foster dome mids, Philips dome tweeters, Peerless dome tweeters, and thise wonky HiVi D6.8 are in there, too. 
    I have a signature.
  • whats the foster dome mids? any details? I am looking for some NLA mids/tweets.... or maybe if I wait longs enough some of my stock will be NLA as is....

• Just some 80's vintage stuff, Ani. I was planning a retro 3-way but I have changed focus. 

Box is pretty well full, the person who made dibs will probably be at IowaDIY so I will deliver it there.

Thank you
    ani_101
    I have a signature.
  • ani_101 said:
    whats the foster dome mids? any details? I am looking for some NLA mids/tweets.... or maybe if I wait longs enough some of my stock will be NLA as is....

I have some vintage dome mids you can have if you're interested. I parted out some speakers I built eons ago. I used a pair in a set of shop speakers and still have another pair.

Ron