Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Free local pickup - 15" pro drivers

These are nice. Can be used as bass drivers or as coaxial by mounting HF on back. 8.5mm Xmax, 0.25 Q, 120L vas. 4" VC, 800W power handling. I'll bring to IowaDIY if someone wants them. 

I have a signature.
Gowarjj45

Comments

• Very nice!! Those have to be like $400 woofers...
  • edited May 2020
    I can't seem to find anything on these drivers....  :s

Are they pro PRO drivers or have a decent lowend / F3?
  • PHL is a somewhat hard to come across hifi-sounding pro-sound company. They are known more for cinema sound, IIRC, and are not cheap drivers. The 1120 mid was used in Jeff's 'Archos' back in 2008 or so, and was a phenomenal sounding design with the Morel MDT33 (later a ribbon) and the AE TD12H. 

I don't even know where you'd get them now.

http://www.phlaudio.com/products/?no_cache=1

• Damn, that'd make a kick as 2-15 cab for a bass! Man I'd like to try to make Iowa.....
  • Yeah, US availability is currently non-existent. I believe you can buy direct from them. 
    I have a signature.
  • 6thplanet said:
    Damn, that'd make a kick as 2-15 cab for a bass! Man I'd like to try to make Iowa.....
    Do it man!
  • I did a little Googling and came up with this site. Searching the site for 6120 links to this driver. https://en.toutlehautparleur.com/coaxial-speaker-phl-6121m-20-without-tweeter-8-ohm-coaxial-15-inch-x38.html 

Ron
    ani_101
  • Somebody's got to use those beauties!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Have modeled any cabs for them?
  • WAR audio in Australia has PHL Audio, though I don't know if they actually have them in stock.
  • These would have been a really great match for the CQ76B that Rick was selling.... Oh well....
  • I did no modeling, I was building 3^ft cabs at one point, for rehearsal monitors but that project fell apart. I planned on EQ'ing to desired response. 
    I have a signature.
  • Anybody selling heil AMT1s?  Would these support an XO of 1k - 1200?
  • IMHO if one were to pursue building a 2-way with these it would be best to investigate the coaxial option these offer. Alternately, a very large (4" x 15" give or take) horn loaded HF driver for a "traditional" TM (if the designer insists on a 2-way) would be a reasonable compromise. Matching output capability of this woofer at 1000hz using HiFi tweeters will likely be impossible. This woofer will do in excess of 110db to 120db clean and sustained (depending on how low you decide to tune the enclosure) - I don't think any HiFi tweeters will stay safe anywhere near that level. 

Large diameter pro woofers are a pretty special breed compared to traditional HiFi woofers. These really deserve a high quality compression driver to complement.  
    ani_101
    I have a signature.
  • hey JR, i'll take these (when i meet you next - most probably in Iowa) just to try the Pro - Compression driver - horn loaded or coaxial driver. These seem to be quite good drivers for the job, and I will only try it once... 

My plan for now includes
    - Coax compression driver
    - SEOS type 15" compression driver
    - Heil AMT1 doublestacked 
    - Beyma 150H

The only issue is, i don't have any of these tweets or horns on hand.... so any preference or comments regarding the suitability / prefereability of any of these?
  • enclosure will be tuned to mid-low 40's, plenty good for music and a 40hz from a 15" is pretty impactful, compared to an 8-10 which is playing lower... most probably active.... though passive and powered through the tube amp would be pretty sweet too... maybe passive for the basic XO and active contouring??? But i need to start looking for the tweet else this will also be sitting along with my other big woofers....
  • Yeah, the Denovo BA-750 in their 15" guide should work really well. 
    I have a signature.
  • I'll put your name on them, Ani.
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks JR. what is the size / specs for the coax driver that will fit in these?
  • ani_101 said:
    My plan for now includes
    - Coax compression driver
    - SEOS type 15" compression driver
    - Heil AMT1 doublestacked 
    - Beyma 150H

The only issue is, i don't have any of these tweets or horns on hand.... so any preference or comments regarding the suitability / prefereability of any of these?
    I don't own any of these other than the Heils, but the Beyma should be an outstanding solution. Check out the miniscule distortion levels at 100 dB. 
    https://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20tpl150h-1.htm

Not sure whether it could do 1,000 Hz Fc, but I'd think 1,200 might work. Call them and ask.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • The TPL150H can do 800Hz when horn-loaded like the Hawthorne version. Jim Griffin used this with a 10" mid and 15" woofers.
    rjj45
  • Ani, I only know it takes a standard 2-bolt mount. 
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks JR...!