Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Online music streaming with Denon HEOS Link Wireless Pre-Amplifier For Multi-Room Audio - Series 2?

Is anyone using one of these, Denon HEOS Link Wireless Pre-Amplifier For Multi-Room Audio - Series 2, for streaming and if so, what are your thoughts? I'm still searching for a streaming device I can integrate into my system and doesn't cost more than $350.

Jim

Comments

• Do you need all that I/O that's on the Denon unit, or just want a network connected audio device? Certainly a raspberry Pi can do the trick with some DIY effort, with a DAC hat or whatever you need.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • All possibilities are helpful. I do think the software and and hardware features of the Denon better fit my needs today and perhaps in the future .

Thanks for the ideas!

Jim

• What are you planning to stream with it?
    A RPI with a DAC can be very flexible.
    Are you streaming with something at the moment?
  • dcibel said:
    Do you need all that I/O that's on the Denon unit, or just want a network connected audio device? Certainly a raspberry Pi can do the trick with some DIY effort, with a DAC hat or whatever you need.

What I'm really after is a networking device pass through to my DAC that allows me to interface with Amazon HD Ultra streaming, play 192/24 files and as a bonus, also play music I have on my music server. I've been using various Squeezeboxes since 2004 and I'm happy with the Touch for my music server access but it doesn't play streaming services.

I'm really not interested in DIY for this piece of the system so at face value, the Denon Heos looks good hardware wise.

Jim
  • What are you planning to stream with it?
    A RPI with a DAC can be very flexible.
    Are you streaming with something at the moment?
    I have multiple Squeezebox Touch streaming from my music server as transports to my DAC. I'm happy with that. My goal is to be able to access Amazon HD Ultra as a pass through device to my Emotiva pre/DAC in the living room. I'm accessing Pandora with a Roku connected to the pre/DAC and I want to step it up in sound quality for those times I want more than background music.

I broke down today and ordered the Denon unit. I'll see how it works and if I like it. 60 day return policy if I don't.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

Jim

• What DAC will you be using with this? 
  • What DAC will you be using with this? 
    This is actually headed to my 2nd system which is an Emotiva XDA-2 pre/DAC driving a LPA-1 Emotiva amp. The speakers are Anthology's. I also have a Squeezebox Touch connected but don't play music from the server on this system too much. I have a large playlist I've created and the wife complains she's tired of the music I've selected so I usually listen to Pandora through a Roku that I also stream YouTube TV with. It's fine but I'd like to spend some time with Amazon HD Ultra and see how 24/192 high rez sounds on this system.

I may also try it on my main system which is based on the Bordeaux, driven by a Squeezebox Touch, Channel Islands passive pre, JDS Labs EL Dac and an Emotiva XPA-5 amp. This is my serious listening system and streaming from something other than my server would have to be a really good source. I may try it and see just for fun.

I'm sure thats more than you wanted to know. :-)  BTW, IMHO the JDS Lab El Dac is a great value with awesome sound quality. It uses an AKM 4490 DAC which I'm extremely pleased with.

Jim
  • I fully expected not to like it when I bought it but measured well and there was good feedback but not a lot of reviews to compare. Anyway, it far exceeded my expectations for sound quality so it stayed in my system.

The current model seems to be the El Dac II which costs $50 more. I'm not sure what changed but I do recommend the company. They're pretty non BS and stand behind the products.

Jim

• @jholtz said:
    (Quote)

I broke down today and ordered the Denon unit. I'll see how it works and if I like it. 60 day return policy if I don't.

So, did it work for you?

• edited September 2020

@Silver1omo said:

@jholtz said:
    (Quote)

So, did it work for you?

It's still a work in process. I liked it so much when I first bought it, I bought another for my 2nd system. With Amazon HD Ultra music it allows access to an almost unlimited amount of high quality music. I'm using the Link as a transport connected to DAC's and sound quality is very near my Squeezebox system. That said, the built in DAC in the Link is much, much better than I anticipated but not as good as music off my server with the Squeezebox or through my DAC's.

That said, both suddenly stopped playing music which Denon support thinks is related to my network which I don't agree with since they wouldn't play music from a flash drive plugged directly into the Link. Today, I'm totally uninstalling them, resetting the devices and the the network, then reinstalling software for a fresh start.

Today I'm attacking it and hope to have music playing soon. I'll post the results. ;)

Jim

Timsie
  • Not surprised with them looking for a scapegoat. Good luck taking the gremlins out.

• @Silver1omo said:
    Not surprised with them looking for a scapegoat. Good luck taking the gremlins out.

I think they have an issue with the software. I'll keep everyone posted how I get along. This is a very nice unit with darn good sound quality. Time will tell.

Jim

• edited September 2020

I promised a follow up and here it is. I worked with Denon HEOS Link support and after resetting the Link hardware and reattaching them to wireless in different "rooms" they're both playing perfectly. The Link has to be attached on the same wireless channel as the phone/tablet controler is. That rules out using Ethernet connections for me even though I have that capability.

So, the selection of music is enormous and sound quality is really excellent! Amazon HD Ultra is only $12.95 per month if you're a Prime member. That makes it the least expensive high-rez streaming option available that I'm aware of. I am using mine through external DAC's but the built in DAC's sound very good also. I'm able to access any source on my network including my music server and a USB flash drive that can be plugged into the back of the Link if you want. It's not the cheapest solution but it's worth it to me.

HTH,

Highly recommended....

Jim

Silver1omoani_101
  • You should be able to get your wireless and wired network to look like one network. I've done that with my network and while I don't remember how I did it I know it can be done if your equipment lets you. I have a DSL modem running through a Vonage phone box to a Linksys wireless router. I think I disabled DHCP on the Linksys router but I can't be sure because now that it's configured I can't seem to get into it. I did this so my laptop and phone could get to all the printers and computers on the wired side.

Ron

• Thanks for the heads up Ron. Other than the fact I prefer wired, wireless is working flawlessly so I'll probably proceed with caution. ;) I always try and use wired whenever possible. It's faster and easier on DHCP devices. Right now I'm really enjoying the huge diversity in available music.

Stay safe!

Jim

• It depends on the gear you have and how the device validates it is in the "same network".
    Generally speaking, if the wireless AP is the same device as the wired network, all services will be given from the same device (likely a wireless router).
    But if you have more than one device it can be complex.