Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Europa I, a small Tripath amp

So I've been meaning to get more into the electronics side of things, and while I learn PCB design (whew, lots going on there!) I am starting to assemble the... about seven now? Amplifiers I have around in parts I keep meaning to assemble. This one is a TK2050 Tripath class D amplifier, which I've had the pleasure of hearing before in a Sure product I got from Parts Express long ago. Nice sounding amp and clean if you don't push is past about 30 watts or so a channel.

Got a module just like this one here: https://aliexpress.com/item/32370218980.html

Picked up this Meanwell medical grade switching power supply from mouser: https://mouser.com/ProductDetail/709-RPS120-27 This one is 27VDC, rating at 120W with forced air (a meager 10CFM, I'm using a 27 CFM fan for good measure)

This Noctua quiet fan: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VXTANZ4

While all this was coming, I sat down and drunk CAD'd my way to a chassis I could 3d print. It is a unibody design, with a lid that'll magnet onto the top.

Finally, toss in a IEC320C7 receptacle and cord, five-way binding posts, rca jacks, AC toggle switch, and wiring. Sprinkle liberally with solder, nearly die of frustration trying to tighten the speaker output wire to the binding posts - that process sucks! And then viola, turn it on to test with a sense of dread!

There it is, almost ready to go. I decided on a two chamber, pull air from one to the other design. The bracket in the middle holds both the fan and amp board vertically, and keeps the fan about 15mm above the heatsink on the board for good air flow. That air is then pushed into the PSU open chamber, and provides cooling for the switching supply.

More pictures!

-

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
Silver1omo6thplanetkenrhodesScottShifiside

Comments

• edited July 2020

That's pretty tight, but I don't think it's a problem time will tell in testing.

Man this little thing can crank. It generates a nice breeze!

Module wired for testing.

The empty unibody chassis.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • edited July 2020

Fan side of the bracket.

Amp board side of the bracket.

Bottom of the bracket, the 'damage' to the plastic there is me using a dremel to widen it because the print failed the 0.2mm tolerance I was targeting.

jhollander6thplanet
  • Wow more 3d printing!!!

• Damn boy, that's super clean work! I got some TK2050 L15 amp boards from Ebay. Very clean sound and implementation.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • That is quite the heat sink on the amp board! Cool project👍