Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

those with offset tweeters....

Q: are your speakers set up with tweeters oriented towards the outside or inside?

Comments

• Folks say to have them mirrored , far outside on left and far outside on right channel.

• As far as polar response nulls, placing the tweeters on the inside pushes the null to the outside, making a more consistent sound field in the listening area. The one time I installed tweeter offset, I regretted that decision, in line vertically has always sounded best to me.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Might have to listen and decide. I typically run standard MT styles with tweeter in, but with my one build with OB TC9s MTM with a hivi planar I much prefer drivers to the outside (all drivers are vertically aligned to one side of the baffle). I think it has more to do with the OB mids than the tweeter..

• I like to design for a constant ear to tweeter ratio. So smallish, skinny head, tweeters on the inside, large head, tweeters on the outside, but maybe large ears with small head, could take a risk with tweeters on the outside? Though large bushy side burns can sometimes absorb the sparkles, YMMV...

• If I have a speaker with offset tweeters, how I orient them depends primarily on application. If they are near sidewalls, I usually place tweeters inside. Outside if speakers are close together and/or away from walls.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I no longer offset tweeters due to the inherent off-axis differences, but when I have on occasion done so - I would measure off-axis in both directions and orient the tweeter depending on the more preferable off-axis response.

Here is the off-axis of my black box from several years. First picture is the off-axis to the "close side", the next is taken on the "far side"

In this particular case, the "far side" offers a smoother roll-off of the top end, and the close side has some bunching at ~2.8K or so, along with some other differences.

What orientation you choose is entirely situational. In the build I did using a cheap SB woofer and Airborne tweeter, the differences from close to far sides was striking.

First pic is the near side, second pic is the far side.

If building and designing your own, make sure you take a lot of off-axis in both directions and if building someone elses - ask them for off-axis in both directions if they have not done so.

Personally, I believe vertically aligned is always best.

jholtz
    I have a signature.
  • edited October 2020

Looks to be a conundrum; a balance of the advantages of offset rel to baffel edge and image symmetry...(for those that get stuck with the cheap seats)

I have rec'd good advice in the past ( dcibel ? ) on measuring 15 degrees off-axis when setting up a crossover, along with listening with a focus on the image between speakers (I generally toe in only slightly, so measuring accordingly seems like a good practice)

Thx for the measurements. Stresses, perhaps moreso, the importance of attention to baffle edges (diffraction)?

While, in or out is ultimately a listener's preference, I posted to see what your guys' actual practice has been. My 2 cents thinking was it is driven somewhat by the distance apart of your speakers, and then getting toe in set. i.e. if narrow placement perhaps out placement gives a broader center image, wider would potentially benefit inward placement.