Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Next Project?

Bored out of my bloody mind and six more days to go. Need another project to keep busy. Have enough mdf on hand to build a large'ish bookshelf.
What it be?
7" Rival and Wavecor TW030?
Pair of the 8" Dynalab buyouts w/xt19td or sb19st-coo?
Something odd, maybe an Audible Physics cp6.5" mated to a Lineaum film tweeter?
Another Pico? Christmas is coming up and they would make a nice gift.
Peerless sds160f25 6.5" that was on sale w/st19, sb19?

Comments

• How many of the 7" Rivals do you have? I'm building a MTM MLTL small tower based on a PaulK simulation with Wavecor TW030 tweeters. I have attached his PDF.

Gowa
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited October 2020

Got a quad from JR. May try that tower later, but currently I don't have enough wood for a tower. May just build something inexpensive to give away for Christmas.
    The four divisions in the tower?

• edited October 2020

@Kornbread said:
    Got a quad from JR. May try that tower later, but currently I don't have enough wood for a tower. May just build something inexpensive to give away for Christmas.

It's a PaulK Mathcad design, so it doesn't have the 4 divisions like a Hornresp model, and the dual woofers need a lot of room to dig deep. Just drop an R176 into Unibox or Winisd. Here is a quick Unibox model for one R176 in a 30 Liter ported box.
    Decent low end, and the woofer doesn't run out of xmax until 28 Hz or thereabouts

Port air speed is a little high for a 2 inch port. Probably go with a 2.5 inch port if possible.

XMAX

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Dude, a 2" port is plenty. I really doubt you will be spending a lot of time listening to 32hz bass at 100db 🤪

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    Dude, a 2" port is plenty. I really doubt you will be spending a lot of time listening to 32hz bass at 100db 🤪

Not me!

• @jr@mac said:
    Dude, a 2" port is plenty. I really doubt you will be spending a lot of time listening to 32hz bass at 100db 🤪

I will. :)

• @Kornbread said:

K.B.,
    Those Rival drivers are waaaay too nice to just build something inexpensive to give away! Save up and buy a little more wood to build a killer pair of floor stander MTM's to keep. I plan to do just that with the four 7" CP version I have paired with the Morel Supreme tweeters I won as a door prize in Iowa last year.

• edited October 2020

Oh no, not giving the Rivals away! I was thinking more a Pico, or Dynalab, or sds160f25 build to gift. Just need something to get me through another week.

• Ah ok! Do you have any cheap subwoofer drivers and a plate amp just sitting around? I always find it fun to whip out a cheap and dirty sub enclosure from scrap wood and play around with low tuning vs normal tuning, no fill vs stuffed, etc. That way you only have to build one ;)

• Going to throw together another Pico for now. Have plenty of supplies on hand so no trips out of the house. I'll pick up another small $30 classD amp/dac/headphone combo thing, make a pair of speaker cables, mate it with the Pico, and gift it for Christmas. Did this last year for a nephew and it was a huge hit.

• You can spray Bin primer in the rain but it's better if you don't.

• What's a Pico?

• It's a Zobellian project as far as EYE know...

jhollanderScottSPWRRYDS7910
  • Pico Neo, IIRC, Chris Roemer is the originator. Aura ns3 in an oversized box. One driver, no crossover, simple and inexpensive build that works well with those cheap little desktop class d amps. In other words, a high value Christmas gift for a favorite niece or nephew.

• @PWRRYD said:
    :#

No love?

• I thought Ben nailed it...

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • None at all.

• Guess I'm outta' the loop.

• A single driver in a large box with no crossover seems like a nice idea to me :)

PWRRYD
  • edited October 2020

Ok, I was enlightened on the Chris subject.
    Anyhow, looking at another project using the Audible Physics 6.5" MCM buyout and ... maybe one of the Linaeum film tweeters. The thing; using a large'ish round port to keep velocity down garners a port resonance. I used to think when modeling, that a small blip in Unibox wasn't that much of a deal, until this last build. Yes, it is a big deal even if the predicted resonance looked fairly small in Unibox.
    So, playing around with winisd and slot ports. Winisd shows the port resonance frequency but where can I find how strong the resonance is?

• edited October 2020

You are at 105 db.... Try the port resonance at 90db. 2inch port should be sufficient.

• edited October 2020

@ani_101 said:
    You are at 105 db.... Try the port resonance at 90db. 2inch port should be sufficient.

You are becoming wise, grasshopper.

ani_101rjj45
    I have a signature.