Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Old AVRs

What do you do with old AVRs? I've got a 4.1 Kenwood and a 7.1 Yamaha that I'm not using. The Kenwood worked well for my measurement amp but now I'm using a AB crown amp.

Could donate to to Goodwill. Don't think I could make into a mini amp.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails

Comments

• Local classifieds at a low price or free and it will be gone. Facebook marketplace, kijiji, craigslist, whatever is popular in your area for used market sales.

If it has multi-channel input, can work well as a test amp for active/DSP setup.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I like to steal the power transformers and sometimes the big power supply caps, then recycle the rest. Most of them don't have a case or heat sinks worth repurposing.

• @dcibel said:
    Local classifieds at a low price or free and it will be gone. Facebook marketplace, kijiji, craigslist, whatever is popular in your area for used market sales.

If it has multi-channel input, can work well as a test amp for active/DSP setup.

Do you really think people are buying old AVRs?

Scraping out would be doable but large multi winding transformers seem like they have limited applications. The Yamaha sounds sweet at 100 w per channel so parting it out will be difficult.

• edited November 2020

Not for $200, but for $20 or free, someone will take it. There's a local classified group here for free items, basically all sorts of junk that people don't want to throw away, someone will always take it if its free. Just post it, you've nothing to lose.

It has stereo RCA audio input and amplifies the sound? Then its perfect for any shop/garage system. Plug in a $20 bluetooth receiver and you're set for the modern age.

joeybutts
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I love them for everywhere else other than my living room and HT; garage, shed, workout space, etc. Nowadays feels very difficult to sell anything for more than peanuts....

rjj45
  • Multiway active setup. I just picked up a yamaha rxv1000 for $20. Source --> minidsp --> Receiver --> stereo active 3 way

• I’d just keep them for active setups or random other projects, or even to give to a friend if they need a garage setup.

If they are 80s-early 90s Denon or Yammy stereo units I use them to listen to because I really enjoy their sound. I watch the pawn shops for these. Maybe not the cleanest sound, especially with their age, but I enjoy their full bodied sound and low end power.

• Garage system sounds like a plan. Not sure I have any speakers for the garage, so this could be a win-win.

• I got a nice Sony stereo receiver at Goodwill recently - decent specs (90 watts/ch and .03 THD) - for $25! Planning on a real woodshop stereo finally.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I currently use old HK receivers for my active setups (150W@4Ohms). I've picked up old AVR's in the pawn shop for friends who run plain old stereo. I haven't seen anything useful in our local Goodwill for years.

Ron

• Definitely garage rocker, or for someone else's. Add a cheapy Bluetooth module and away you go. As mentioned before, sell cheap/free is the other option.