Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Mind blowing music...

Just WOW!

Never heard of him before, but this is really well produced and yields happy ears!

Gowa6thplanetani_101

Comments

• Thanks Ben! Very lyrical and heartfelt, along with excellent production and prodigious chops. While listening, I couldn't help but think of Joe Satriani, who is a favorite of many of my friends, but I always feel like his playing says "look at me, I'm so effing cool" - but Plini I feel is totally different, just lets the music speak for itself. Very nice. Got to try to find a high resolution version of this!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • John Petrucci is one of my faves too. Satch is more blues, but still good. Yngwie is speed. Vai is also really good. Plini- yeah. This is different in trajectory.

• Yeah, I like Petrucci and Vai, but my all time favorite is John McGlaughlin

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited November 2020

Here's a cover of the Django Reinhardt/Stephan Grappelli tune "Minor Swing" by Gretschen Menn, guitarist from Zepperella:

Great swing to this track, lovely playing.

I remember the first time I heard Django's "Nuages" , I was just stunned - and that was after eight or nine years of listening to Hendrix, Clapton, Jeff Beck, etc. I played it to a musician friend of mine after buying the album on the spot and truly, his jaw just dropped. Unfortunately, that take isn't available on YouTube and it was by far the best; it was from an old RCA LP. There are other versions around but the guitar break in that one was brilliant.

John McLaughlin's work on Miles' Davis "Jack Johnson" album is well worth checking out. There's a poor bootleg recording of JM with Hendrix but it's very low fi and you hardly hear John, he's on acoustic guitar.

Thanks Wolf, this is a great way to discover new music!

Geoff

6thplanetani_101Gowa
  • Heard this a few days ago. Wonderful music from modern masters.
    "Lockdown Blues" - note JM's reactions to the keyboard players riffs.

6thplanetani_101Gowa
  • Ha! Drummer scat and fabulous bass action. That was the shit!

• That was refreshing, was surprised by the sudden konnakol in the middle... ! That's not something that I hear often. I mean I do, but in a different musical context

• Distributed music making!

• That was fun!

• I pre-ordered Plini's new album yesterday. I think that's the only way I'd be able to get a CD of it.

• I downloaded his whole library on Bandcamp.

• I looked hard for a hard CD copy of Handmade Cities. Nothing. Vinyl all over the place, but no CD.

Those EPs are good too for sure...