Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Minidsp 2x4 enough?

Hey gang, is the basic miniDSP 2x4 all I need for tuning my HT subwoofers? I have two different sets of subwoofers so pretty sure this is all i need....

Thanks.

Comments

• Probably, I was told the time delay messes with the phase a bit. The HD version does that function better. Otherwise it has all the EQ and xover junk you'd want.

joeybutts
  • That will give you 4 different channels of control for 1 or 2 different inputs, so as long as you don't have more than 4 subs that need different signals, you should be good. The output level on the 2x4 is a little low though, so just make sure the amp it's feeding has decent gain.

joeybutts
  • Thanks guys. I have a cx1202, I'll check it out though thinking of changing it out for something more powerful. What would be a decent amount of gain?

• edited November 2020

Check what input voltage you need in the amp to clip it.
    The old minisp can only output 0.9V, quite low.
    The HD has 2V, standard for single ended.

joeybutts
  • Looks like the CX1202 just needs 1.26 Vrms
    https://www.qsc.com/systems/products/power-amplifiers/commercial-amplifiers-dataport/cx-series-2-ch/cx1202v/
    So the 0.9V might be enough, depending on how loud you like it.
    Get a tone generator app for your cell and measure the voltage at say 30Hz(??) and check where it gets loud enough for you. If 0.9V gets you there, that minidsp 2x4 should be enough.

joeybutts
  • I was looking and looks like the basic has a switch or jumper for 0.9 or 2? But then says max of 0.9...... I don't understand.
    Though I would like to save the $100 I guess I may as well go with the HD?

• Disregard, just read it again and it is the input .....

Guess I'll go with the HD. Or shoot, may e the DSP408. I always forget about that unit.....

• Get the HD and skip the 408.

joeybutts
  • @joeybutts said:
    I was looking and looks like the basic has a switch or jumper for 0.9 or 2? But then says max of 0.9...... I don't understand.
    Though I would like to save the $100 I guess I may as well go with the HD?

input is 0.9V or 2V max based on jumper selection. Output is 0.9V max regardless, a bit lame. Its good for testing or basic projects, the standard 2x4 is not much of a hifi product.

Unfortunate that the HD version is not available with XLR, big missed opportunity there. Anyway, the HD model has 2V or 4V input by jumper selection, and the output is 2V only. Pretty good.

joeybutts
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited November 2020

I contacted the company re a XLR HD version, and they said they don't speak towards new porduct offerings- but I have to think this is a product they are getting multiple requests for ? Maybe send them a note as well and join in the push...

• @joeybutts said:
    Disregard, just read it again and it is the input .....

Guess I'll go with the HD. Or shoot, may e the DSP408. I always forget about that unit.....

Skip on the dsp408. I don't recall how many units we went through before figuring out certain computers cause the dsp408 to brick. PE tried, even sent a basic minidsp to replace it (no need for a minidsp at the time), but in the end they got a bit snide and we called it a day. Out of chance, another PETT member informed me that using the remote control on the dsp408 unbricks the unit.
    Per the tech, the 408 output voltage starts to get a bit 'wonky' around 1.1 volts.
    No matter what I try, the hum is always there. The next attempt at eliminating the hum will be a battery pack. The minidsp is silent.

joeybutts
  • I second 2x4 HD, works great.

joeybutts