Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

iron on veneer curling?

When I use iron on veneer techniques, usually when the glue dries, the veneer tends to curl, sometimes a lot. I posted this on FB, and a senior woodworker said that he had never experienced this problem. I've used mostly paper backed veneer, but used double layer veneer a few times. What's your experience?

does your iron on veneer curl when the glue dries?
  1. yes, it always curls, sometimes a lot7 votes
    1. sometimes, it depends
      42.86%
    2. never seen that problem
      57.14%
But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
Tagged:

Comments

• Are you talking when applying glue to the veneer before ironing, it curls significantly. My experience would be of course it did, and why wouldn't it? If you're ironing with PVA glue, it contains a lot of water, so your wetting one side of the veneer while leaving the other side dry, it will curl. My experience was with raw veneer, but I would imagine that even with paper backed some of that moisture is making its way through to the wood.

After my experience with iron on veneering, never again. Contact cement is the way!

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I use NBL veneer and never had a problem. It does curl when applying glue but usually flattens out once the glue dries.

Ron

• I have only used paper backed veneer from 1 source and as Ron mentioned, it curled when I applied the glue and flattened almost completely when it dried.

• I always have a bit/ slight curl after it dries, not Pringles like but not flat

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I alway get a curl, the degree varies.

• edited December 2020

I use Heatlock and the paper backed veneer will curl when the Heatlock dries before ironing on. I just oversize the veneer a bit and use painter's tape around all the edges to hold it down. Not much curl after removing the tape. I also use a veneer glue roller that helps me get a uniform glue thickness.

Jeff_F
  • Thanks guys! I've standardized on Heatlock, and that combined with the humidity in by basement may account for the curling in my case. Appreciate the input.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @Ed_Perkins said:
    I use Heatlock and the paper backed veneer will curl when the Heatlock dries before ironing on. I just oversize the veneer a bit and use painter's tape around all the edges to hold it down. Not much curl after removing the tape. I also use a veneer glue roller that helps me get a uniform glue thickness.

I do the same as Ed - taping down the edges. A little curl - I think it also depends how it was stored. I just did some little speakers and the paper backed oak veneer had been rolled up in a tall 8 x 8 box with other remnants. No problems once you get the center tacked down with the iron. I also used parchment paper instead of an old t-shirt this time. That worked really well!

Ed - is your glue roller smooth or textured?

• Tom, check out veneersuplies.com they have the roller that you want.

Mikethehunterguy
  • I usually use a small (paint) foam roller to apply the glue, but for large towers, I just pour some on, and use a credit card to initially distribute the glue, then roll to a uniform coverage. I'll have to try parchment paper, although a tshirt has worked fine for me for years.

• I use a foam roller for glue. It works best after it gets hard over a few uses.

• @jhollander said:
    It works best after it gets hard over a few uses.

...Insert sophomoric humor here...

• @Tom_S said:

@jhollander said:
    It works best after it gets hard over a few uses.

...Insert sophomoric humor here...

ok, drum rolll......
    does your also grow in size?

• @ugly_woofer said:
    Tom, check out veneersuplies.com they have the roller that you want.

That's the one I use and recommend.

• for under $200 you buy a vacuum pump and make a vacuum bag.