Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

ProAc Response 3. ProAcing in the Navy Yard. Rebuild and redesign

Dear friend of mine picked up a pair of Response 3. A charismatic speaker he remembers from the pre-diy years of shopping in a thing of a past, high end audio store.
We decided to reinforce the cabinets internally as they are just hollow un-braced boxes with some provision for sand in the base.
Woofers were rebuild by Meniscus and Dave rebuild ScanSpeak D2905 tweeters with new coils.
We are also replacing yellow packing foam ProAc used with some mineral fiber. Will measure and post as the process is going.
I will design a new crossover and perform a listening session after. Usually NY DIY rolls with blind listening.

jr@macSilver1omoJasonPkennyksquamishdroc

Comments

• edited January 2021

I think the 1st order electrical crossover may actually work. Poly woofers are super smooth with no noticeable breakups and D-29 is like a little midrange. Crossover point is at 1400hz and then the notch drops response of the tweeter like a rock. I will play around with it a bit more before assembling a test network for listening.

• Cool project Roman!

• I like the statement on the sticker - "...not suitable for the reproduction of electrical instruments."

R-Carpenter
  • @Tom_S said:
    I like the statement on the sticker - "...not suitable for the reproduction of electrical instruments."

I wonder if that's British speak for "don't use with your Hiwatt or Marshall 100 Watt head"?

• @Tom_S said:
    I like the statement on the sticker - "...not suitable for the reproduction of electrical instruments."

I know. I was puzzled over the statement as well.

• @PWRRYD said:

@Tom_S said:

I wonder if that's British speak for "don't use with your Hiwatt or Marshall 100 Watt head"?

That's the only thing I can think too: Hey, this isn't a guitar speaker! Still strange.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I took it as- "This is a Hifi speaker, and is not to be played with nasty rock n roll. It is meant for jazz and classical as those are the best kinds of music, and these speakers reproduce it really well."

• @Wolf said:
    I took it as- "This is a Hifi speaker, and is not to be played with nasty rock n roll. It is meant for jazz and classical as those are the best kinds of music, and these speakers reproduce it really well."

Yep, that's also how I interpreted it.

• @Wolf said:
    I took it as- "This is a Hifi speaker, and is not to be played with nasty rock n roll. It is meant for jazz and classical as those are the best kinds of music, and these speakers reproduce it really well."

Hmmm... I don't know. I would think if they were trying to say "that" then they would have placed it in more "Marketing" type locations. A sticker right above the input terminals seems more like a warning not to hook it up to an electric guitar amplifier.

• As Jimi Hendrix once said, "there are two types of music: good and bad".

I think the sticker must be referring to a guitar amp. Some years ago a friend of mine hooked up his Les Paul and a Peavey to his KEFs....the resultant repair cost many $$.

Geoff

• I'm pretty sure there are a lot of speaker brands that are music-snooty, but I suppose your assumption could very well be accurate as well.

When attending AXPONA, you'd only be able to see maybe 1 or 2 rooms that actually played rock music. Most costlier geared-rooms played this fru-fru twinkly benign garbage that would not tax a woofer while it sleeps awaiting something to show dynamic bass. While I did hear Rage Against the Machine at the last one I attended, most were playing something from the LINN catalog. Not that all of them are bad selections, and if sleeping is your goal....

• I have to admit, a lot of r&r songs have the gain ridden so hard there's hardly any difference between fff and ppp.

• The 'modern 2k-year and later' for sure! The '90s still had some level left.