Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Thinking of a new measurement amp...

Currently I use an Onkyo 809 HTR with a deceased HDMI board as my measurement amp. Plenty of grunt, and I keep it in so-called "pure audio" mode so it is close to a real amp. However, it is too friggen big for what I want to do with my measurement rig.

Class D is out for testing purposes unless I can verify that the response stays linear regardless of DUT impedance, so I am looking for something relatively compact that can deliver 50 watts into a four ohm load. A mono setup is ok since this is exclusively for testing response/distortion. 

Any suggestions? A DIY solution would be acceptable, of course. 
I have a signature.

Comments

• jr@mac said:
    Currently I use an Onkyo 809 HTR with a deceased HDMI board as my measurement amp. Plenty of grunt, and I keep it in so-called "pure audio" mode so it is close to a real amp. However, it is too friggen big for what I want to do with my measurement rig.

Class D is out for testing purposes unless I can verify that the response stays linear regardless of DUT impedance, so I am looking for something relatively compact that can deliver 50 watts into a four ohm load. A mono setup is ok since this is exclusively for testing response/distortion. 

Any suggestions? A DIY solution would be acceptable, of course. 
    Parasound Z-amp? 

Don't be fooled by the rating, or the size. It is the best, affordable small amoaround and has some amazing drive. Would do everything needed with room for comfort in a measurement set-up. 

http://www.parasound.com/zamp-v3.php

• The Parasound looks nice, but a little on the spendy side for me, for just a measurement amp.

The Dayton would work just fine, I used to use an Audiosource Amp100 before I sold it to some guy who lives in Council Bluffs...  

I have a signature.
  • Oooo, i am interested in this too. I currently use an emotive a100. pretty good, but would like to have some options that is pretty good for measuring and I don't have to tie up my emo amp. again, can be DIY.
  • should have bought the emo a100 refurb for 125$.... now its not available any more  :/
  • Hey guys,
        Would there be potential group buy on the z-amp? I may be able to get it to $200 or so if we can get 5 ppl interested. I look at the specs of the dayton amp and see that distortion of "<1%" and wonder a bit. Thats at 1K, too.

Still may be a bit spendy. Thats cool too, but throught I would throw it out there as a feeler.  
  • You could DIY a LM3886 single channel amp for under $50.
  • PWRRYD said:
    You could DIY a LM3886 single channel amp for under $50.
    You could, I am a total r-tard when it comes to building amps. Shoot me some guidance and that is a route I am happy to take.
    I have a signature.
  • Hey guys,
        Would there be potential group buy on the z-amp? I may be able to get it to $200 or so if we can get 5 ppl interested. I look at the specs of the dayton amp and see that distortion of "<1%" and wonder a bit. Thats at 1K, too.

Still may be a bit spendy. Thats cool too, but throught I would throw it out there as a feeler.  
    Keep it up - I think people will be interested.
    I have a signature.
  • The Emotive a100 is on sale for $200. https://emotiva.com/products
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I have been giving this some thought... While the Parasound and Emotiva options are nice for a secondary or perhaps a surround amp should I ever go that route again, I am really looking more for something that I can dedicate to my measurement rig. I am trying to build a distinct system strictly for measurement purposes. 

This weekend I finally finished assembling a fairly quiet PC to use. Possibly overpowered for a simple measurement rig, but it consists of an Intel i3 dual core, 4gb of DDR3 RAM, a 120gb SSD, a passively cooled GeForce 210, and an Asus Xonar DG. This resides in a small form factor Lenovo Thinkcentre case. It contains basically an ARTA install, an Office 2003 install, a full codec package, Foobar, XSim, and very little else. 

I will be running it out to my TV via HDMI, so I do not need my HTPC and Oppo running during measurements. 

One amp I have my peeps on is the Dayton APA150. It has a perfect form factor for what I want to do. Some others are the older Marantz mono blocks. Not too many offer this small foot print, though. 

So in a DIY world, think form factor like the Dayton APA150 - but I will be honest here. If a proper DIY approach approaches $100, I will be more inclined to buy a turnkey. 

That all being said, the Onkyo provides me with everything I need, except small form factor. So basically, I need to be able to justify removing it from the system by taking up less of a footprint - and quite a few of the amps out there still require a minimum of 1RU, which defeats the purpose of what I would like to do here. 

That that all all being said, Mike - keep investigating the possibility of a group buy on the Parasound. At some point, I am probably going to be looking at getting rid of the Dayton DTA-120 I currently use in the nerdery in favor of something else, especially when I get the MCM 3-ways finished. It won't be possible for a while yet, so think springtime or so. 
    I have a signature.
  • Actually, the Emotiva would be perfect. I would probably set it on its side, though, so cooling would be compromised. I really, really doubt that would be an issue for doing sweeps, however. Hmmm...

If only someone would buy that Dayton kit I have for sale. Dammit. 
    I have a signature.
  • Think the wife will understand yet another amp hitting the shelves?
    I have a signature.
  • Im considering the same thing JR. Dedicated setup in the listening/testing area. Nothing special and I probably won't even worry about Internet connection. I will probably use it as a music server.

The APA150 is a good choice. That is what ive been using for a couple of years now. Even used it for the CKY-DIY for the first hour or so until Ben finally got there with his Crown. 
  • I really like the footprint of the Dayton, wish it was a tad cheaper but oh well. 
    I have a signature.
  • I have a APA150, but then what doi replace it with? I am currently using it to power a pair of Clark Synthesis TST209 Tactile Transducer. But I probably do need a class AB amp for it, a class D with a bit more Oomp bight be better. So, I can dedicate the APA150 for measurement only. Use the Emo for a a small desktop / book shelf speakers (mine is the older silver A100, not the current gen flex amp)

Mike, I am interested in the Parasound, but cannot commit on the timeframe, as I have already overspend over the holidays, and I would in India from next week till mid feb. So it would be possible for me only after that. But please continue on your effort. Did you get a chance to hear/ review this amp?
  • Hey guys,
       Myself included we have 3 solids fi the amp. I am thinking I will need minimum  5. I think we all need the spring at this point. Lets re-approach in tge april timeframe? 
  • The april timeframe is definitely more feasible for me.
  • Is this new emotiva amp/dac/preamp/phono stage class D or A/B? Seems like it would be pretty useful for pc environment. 
  • D1PP1N said:
    Is this new emotiva amp/dac/preamp/phono stage class D or A/B? Seems like it would be pretty useful for pc environment. 
    From the features section of the TA-100:

• Audiophile quality, fully complementary, all discrete Class A/B amplifier – with plenty of power to drive a pair of high quality stereo speakers to satisfying listening levels.
  • Ah nice catch, i was under the impression all the basx stuff was class d.
  • Don't laugh but my portable measurement system is an old school Alpine car CD player.  It's rated at 15 wpc and was made before digital amps were used.  I can run it with a cheap 12V ps or even a battery.  I've tested it head to head with my Rotel amp setup and the FR plots were identical.  Same with the distortion plots.   It's a nice setup because my Omnimic source is the test CD.
    greywarden
  • That is a great idea Craig! 
  • I have a little Sherbourn amp dedicated for testing.  They sometimes show up on ebay cheap.  I used to have a V2 Zamp, but it died.  It was second hand and appeared to have had a pretty rough first life.  I also have a V3 Zamp, but it seems too nice to languish in my test rig.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • The parasound show frequently in ebay at good prices. I got a v3 for $120.