Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Midbass match for Esotar

Hello all,
Been following this site for awhile now, just joined up today. Looking for your thoughts on a 6.5 or 7 inch midbass to match up with my new in the box Dynaudio Esotar T330D tweeters. Been sitting on them for 15 years time to get things rolling. Way back when I had the Merlin VSM-SE’s that mated the Esotar with SS 8545’s. I also have multiple pairs of 8545’s but would like to know if there are newer midbass units that would be a closer match to the Esotar’s 93db efficiency and better overall performance . I am aware of the Purifi drivers but I guess I was thinking of reaching for higher efficiency to use with lower powered tube amps. Glad to be back into high end after a 15 year absence. My twin boys are 13 now and know better than to mess with dad’s stuff! Also, any of you cabinet gurus happen to be in MN or WI?

Comments

• Welcome back into the fold!

Lot of midwesterners around here.

I have a signature.
  • 93db is high for most 7" drivers unless you are willing to sacrifice a ton of low end output.

https://rhythmaudiodesign.com/collections/speaker-woofers/products/r176-cp-04-paper-7-woofer-4-ohm

That offers 90db and provided your amp can handle a 4 ohm load is a very good choice. You will likely have to pad the tweeter regardless of chosen midwoofer.

Most of the members here can vouch for the Rival drivers.

I have a signature.
  • edited January 2021

Well, the Rival is great, but 90dB is before baffle step losses, so 84dB system sensitivity. To use that driver at 90dB sensitivity requires the use of a higher sensitivity woofer operating below the baffle step to fill in the low end.

You could go with something like the Dayton PM220 for high sensitivity, expect a somewhat large cabinet if you want any bass out of it and not the highest max SPL. PM180 and a large woofer for a high sensitivity 3-way, not sure how the PM180 models in the low end on its own, probably not great.

Nothing wrong with the Usher 8545 if you already have them.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Even better.

• 8545 in MTM will give you 94 DB at 4 ohms and about 90 DB after 4DB baffle step. But just adding up the efficiency based on the spec sheet doesn't really work, all depends on what you end up measuring with the drivers in the box. at times I thought the tweeter had enough leeway only to end up with a minimal to no padding on the tweeter - you want a little padding to play with the voicing and take care of different DCRs, etc in the crossover.

rjj45
  • @ani_101 said:
    8545 in MTM will give you 94 DB at 4 ohms and about 90 DB after 4DB baffle step. But just adding up the efficiency based on the spec sheet doesn't really work, all depends on what you end up measuring with the drivers in the box. at times I thought the tweeter had enough leeway only to end up with a minimal to no padding on the tweeter - you want a little padding to play with the voicing and take care of different DCRs, etc in the crossover.

That's my solution also - go MTM on the mids.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • A pair of 8 ohm drivers wired in parallel is 6dB more sensitive, but only 3dB more efficient than a single 8 ohm driver.

• Looking at the Esotar frequency response (da.dynaudioacoustics.cn/down/DYNAUDIO_T330D_ESOTAR.pdf) I'd guestimate you're at ~90 dB (1m/2.83V) once the 93 dB hump is flattened to match the overall response. So just one Rival may suffice unless you really need the additional max SPL capability of two Rivals.

• Appreciate the input everyone . Since posting this I have decided to go with a separate cabinet for a Lii Audio Silver 8 full range to push with the Dennis Had tube amp. Separate bookshelves for the Esotar and a Purifi 6.5, not hearing anyone having much luck going ported with this driver unless you go two feet deep with the cabinet. Not a fan of passive radiators. Maybe two smaller shorter port tubes? Both the Esotar and the Purifi should be happier pushed by class A solid state.