Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

good rattle can primer?

edited January 2021 in DIY

For my recent Rival MTM tower, I used a coat of Killz primer, then 2 coats of rattle can Krylon primer, and it came out ok, but the Krylon not only clogged up the sandpaper, it tended to leave hard clumps of primer on the baffle! Major PITA to clean up. Does anyone have a favorite rattle can primer without this problem?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
Tagged:

Comments

• edited January 2021

B-I-N, rattle or roll it sands like a dream.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Being a Krylon fan in general- please don't use the Krylon primer. It's not great for the job.
    It's sibling brand Duplicolor has an automotive 'filler primer' that is much better at the task.

jholtz
  • Eastwood 2k, but it's not inexpensive.

• Thanks guys - I'll try the Bin and Duplicor rattle can versions!
    (Figured Wolf would know for sure...)

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @rjj45 said:

Not to be a dik but have you seen Wolf's paint jobs in person???

dcibel
  • @PWRRYD said:

@rjj45 said:

Not to be a dik but have you seen Wolf's paint jobs in person???

No I haven't, all I've seen is the "money" shots.

• Ouch, Craig! I'm not Nick, nor am I that good, but my stuff doesn't look like crap.

rjj45
  • I apologize.

6thplanetNicholas_23rjj45
  • I second Dcibel's suggestion. I've brushed it on, and it dries so fast that you almost have to treat it like polyurethane... one or two and done... or else it starts to dry that fast being alcohol based. A touch tricky brushing because of that, but once you get a handle on how to do it, you can put multiple, multiple coats on in a half day because it dries nearly instantly, really protecting the wood under a nice barrier of protective protection. (Dept. Of Redundancy Department violation)

I've also used the spray on version and it's just as good once applied, but lots of overspray, and wasted material for the cost of the spray cans. I did find a fairly cheap source through mail order, but you had to buy a case or so... no problem for me, I tend to make a bunch of stuff, so I'll use it eventually. All of that applies to the shellac base primer specifically, BTW.

Tom Zarbo
    (TomZ from the Tech Talk forum)

rjj45Billet
  • Welcome Tom :)

rjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Hi Tom, glad to see you here

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @tomzarbo said:
    Thank you John.

Yes, great to finally see you here Tom! I have always enjoyed your projects and posts with great pictures!!!! You will be a fantastic addition.

Now where is Dan (lunchmoney)?

• Good to see you here Tom!

• I appreciate the welcome fellas!

• GET OUT TOM!!! RIGHT NOW!!!!

Just kidding, glad to see you made your way over here.

jr@macrjj45kenrhodes
  • I had been wondering why you weren't on this forum. It's a little higher level compared to PETT.

Glad to have you aboard!

• @Tom_S said:
    I had been wondering why you weren't on this forum. It's a little higher level compared to PETT.

Glad to have you aboard!

What he said. What took you so long?

• Apparently, I actually signed up a few years ago but didn't know it. I had trouble registering for some reason, and at the time, my life was so crazy that was enough to make me give up.

Fast forward to last week and I thought I was having deja-vu all over again with issues trying to sign up, until John Hollander told me Bryan emailed me to help. I didn't see any email, so the light bulb went off over my head and I went to the Spam folder and there it was... I was then able to get on.

I haven't looked in there or even thought about the Spam folder for years. That's probably where the email went the first time I tried to sign up and I just never thought to look there! (Cue Fred G. Sanford... "You Big Dummy!")

Also, I was afraid that if I joined another forum, my wife would LITERALLY never see me again. I can spend so much time on these things.

But thanks for the warm welcome everyone. For your enjoyment -- or disdain -- whatever the case may be, I've updated my same Avatar from PE's Tech Talk to my current state of dishevelment at age 50. I can barely lift the subwoofer now.

Sigh.
    :)

TomZ

• What subwoofer is it?

• Good to have ya, Tommy! Wondered why you weren't in here, and even asked and most said that you'd been prodded to join and simply had not.

Ken- it's the same sub he designed and used in his avatar years ago. Pretty sure it's an 1139. Tommy makes it look like a 4" sub due to his yeti-like stature.

• Yeah shit , come on in , the waters fine in this forum . Not to derail RJ's post , but I maybe check PETT once or twice every two weeks anymore? Seems to be the place where a lot of heavy hitter PETT folks migrated to.