Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Thinking out loud on a cold rainy day

edited April 2021 in DIY

Well ... yeah ... bored.

Thanks to John's overabundance of generosity, I have a pair of beston rt002a and tianle amt65-4/dayton amt2-4 tweeters I want to listen to, and since it's a rainy, boring, and cold day, time to begin the process of a new 3-way.
Here's the list of possible on-hand candidates to mate with either of these tweeters.

2pcs. 1.5" nxt auba05809-0002 IIRC, thinking these are the tectonic tebm36s05-4, @82db horrible efficiency unless this is a measurement fault.
4pcs. 4" Don's audax aerogel ap100z0
4pcs. 4" PE buyout 16ohm paper cone, like the way these look but got nothing on them
2pcs. 3" peerless tc9fd18-04

possible woofer mates
bunch pcs. 6" peerless sds160f25pro1-08
bunch pcs. 6.5" audible physics 635-cp2 carbon/paper, really like this woofer in the orgons mated to the new rs28. may have lost data on this driver when the old puter crashed
4pcs. 7" rival acoustics r176kc-08 carbon/paper

Let's kick this around the block. What are you thinking guys?

rjj45

Comments

• I think a great 3 way would be the Rival with the Aerogel, but the quality of those 2 would need a better tweeter than the nxt. What do you have on the shelf?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited April 2021

I'll be using the beston rt002a or tianle65-4/amt2-4 on top. They are just sitting here staring at me. I have never used a ribbon in a build and want to go that direction with the beston or amt.

• Have some odd ideas for box construction involving +1" thick lightweight corrugated cardboard panels. Tired of schlepping heavy speakers around.

rjj45
  • I was thinking about cardboard and ridged foam, then I remembered that's how they make all the transducer panel speakers. My last idea was to figure out how to leave the cardboard corrugation holes open to the inside of the speaker box then attach to 3/8 inch Baltic birch ply outside panel and 45 the corners. Then I thought about resin infusion composites...

rjj45
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @Kornbread said:
    I'll be using the beston rt002a or tianle65-4/amt2-4 on top. They are just sitting here staring at me. I have never used a ribbon in a build and want to go that direction with the beston or amt.

AMTs are pretty awesome, but don't know anything about the Tianle65-4. As you probably know, we've seen a couple of recos for the Beston.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @Kornbread said:
    Have some odd ideas for box construction involving +1" thick lightweight corrugated cardboard panels. Tired of schlepping heavy speakers around.

A friend of mine played with foam sprayed with pickup bed liner. He made a small box and it was sturdy enough to stand on. I shared the idea with some friends in the speaker business and they developed a system using cardboard sprayed with pick bed liner to create portable rooms with built in sound for convention halls. It showed a lot of promise until the accountant ran off with all the money.

Ron

6thplanetani_101jhollanderPWRRYD
  • @Ron_E said:

@Kornbread said:
    Have some odd ideas for box construction involving +1" thick lightweight corrugated cardboard panels. Tired of schlepping heavy speakers around.

A friend of mine played with foam sprayed with pickup bed liner. He made a small box and it was sturdy enough to stand on. I shared the idea with some friends in the speaker business and they developed a system using cardboard sprayed with pick bed liner to create portable rooms with built in sound for convention halls. It showed a lot of promise until the accountant ran off with all the money.

Ron

Hi Ron, does it have to be pickup bed liner? How about Duratex or Acoustx? The Acoustx (sound damping coating) is bit soft and rubbery, while Duratex seems to finish pretty hard. I tried truck bed liner only once and found the solids very lumpy, though i brushed/rolled it on. I find Duratex go on much smoother / easier.

• I think bed liner is much thicker and tougher. My friends box turned out much like a plastic coated ice chest. I don't think you could stand on a foam box painted with Duratex.

Ron

ani_101
  • edited April 2021

I was thinking along the lines of gluing thin formica, or some other form of very thin sheet goods, to one or both sides.
    or
    Fiberglass resin on the outside and fiberglass+resin on the inside to completely seal the cardboard from moisture and strengthen the box. <probably not needed.
    or
    Any combination of the above methods to seal the cardboard from moisture. The panels are about four feet square and I 'think' they are strong enough to hold my weight when laid horizontal only supported by the edges.
    or
    Try Ron's idea with truck bed liner to seal the cardboard.

What about the drivers?

• Most doors are cardboard with luan skins. For their size they are pretty ridged.
    With most of these types of light weight panels their thickness determines their strength. They might be a great wat to build the sides of a tower, I think it would be a challenge to build a whole speaker.
    Fine woodworking did a story about this type of build a number of years ago. Great article on how to increase strength without increasing weight.

• Thinking along the same lines. More than likely, the front baffle will be solid wood. Using fiberglass+resin would make it rather simple to mount some reinforcements to the cardboard sides to screw the solid baffle onto.

• You could do something like I did with my honeycombs build, it was fairly light and extremely stiff.

jr@macrjj45kenrhodesRon_E
  • edited April 2021

This is the 6.5" Audible Physics 635-cp2cp mounted in the Orgone box w/out crossover. Notes say this was measured with the speaker sitting on the porch rail with mic on tweeter axis, which is about 6' off the floor. Thought the dip at 200hz was floor bounce, but maybe not.
    Wagering the peak at 1.65k has something to do with the huge 726hz port resonance as this is the much smaller measured peak with the mic stuffed in the port. To me, it looks good till roughly 4k.

Thinking out loud ... bottom end for both the beston and amt ~2.5-3k with a quick rolloff. I'm thinking this woofer should be able to meet either tweeter. Yes?

Didn't leave notes on these measurements other than 10*, 20*, 30*, 45*

Crossing in the 2k region with the Orgone and I like it. Just have to eek a few hore hz out of it.

• edited April 2021

@ugly_woofer Not even going to attempt something like that cause I know what's going to happen. :#
    The cardboard panels look like this only 1"x 40"x48".

• I could see myself laminating MDF to those cardboard panels

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Beston/Audible Physics MTM xo 2.5k.

............. could you hum a few bars.
  • @kennyk said:
    Beston/Audible Physics MTM xo 2.5k.

That's the direction I'm leaning at the moment. Maybe it was, @isaeagle4031 who highly recommended the AudiblePhysics woofer. Must say, I like them in the Orgone.
    Other option I was thinking; amt2-4+tc9+??? rs225/rs270/wavecor or an NE would be sweet but can't swing that right now.

This is all going to be put on hold for a while as I get ready for an interview and hopeful new job that has something the old job lacks ... a future.

• Good luck.

• Good luck on that job, buddy!

• Thanks guys. As things go, this would be a somewhat horizontal move but with a much better company, hell, better everything, plus advancement opportunities. Fingers crossed.
    I've been at my current facility over 30 years. I know almost everyone that remains, and they I. Many of them I've spent more waking hours with than my own family. From ~1500 people in 2012 to the ~160 that remain, it's only a matter of time before the gates are permanently closed. You wold not believe how extremely depressing it is, almost overwhelming at times, having to watch something you poured 30 years of hard work and sacrifice into be ran into the ground and closed, but, it is what it is.
    As one chapter ends, hopefully, another brighter chapter begins.

rjj456thplanetkennyk
  • All the best to ya, good luck.

• I have my fingers crossed for you Kenny!

• I did us a pair of MCM 55-2669's, with the Bestons in a MTM. I crossed them at 2.5k and became my daily driver......until the dog.........