Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

add headphone jack to APA150?

I've got several of the Dayton APA150 amps, and would like to add a headphone jack to them.
Is that just as simple as grabbing a feed from the speaker output terminals and adding a suitable resistor
so I don't blown the headphones?

https://parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-APA150-150W-Power-Amplifier-300-812

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
Tagged:

Comments

• Not sure, but I imagine you would want to tap into the line level side. There are several nice headphone amp boards out there, the APA150 might even have a suitable tap on the tranny to power them. Add a small high quality toggle switch to the front panel along with a bulkhead 1/4" stereo jack.

I think anticipating how much resistance to add to the output stage might be tricky.

Honestly, I guess I would splurge for a small pre-amp with built-in headphone amp and switch between headphones and speakers that way.

I have a signature.
  • Lots of commercial equipment, old receivers and such just had an L-pad from the amp output over to the headphone jack. Not the best solution but functional.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Is part of the goal to grab some of the 'warmth' of the class AB amp section in the amp?
    I don't know how its supposed to be done, but if you have some crossover resistors to fiddle with, I would think you could get close by trial and error with a cheap tiny speaker as a test driver, then use cheap cans once you get close.
    TomZ

• Looking at some vintage silver Pioneer schematics, they just used a 150 ohm resistor in series with the positive speaker outputs.

• One thing to check - are the negative terminals floating or grounded? If they're floating and you tie the channels together with a 3 wire headphone cable, you could let the magic smoke out. :o

• @Tom_S said:
    One thing to check - are the negative terminals floating or grounded? If they're floating and you tie the channels together with a 3 wire headphone cable, you could let the magic smoke out. :o

I'm not the tech y'all are, so I think that means I would check to see it I got continuity from the negative terminals to chassis ground, correct? Or would I need to open up the amp and check for continuity between the negative terminals and the circuit board ground?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Yup - just see if they are both grounded. I'm guessing they are. Fingers crossed!

rjj45