Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Tony455

Wondering if some one could help me with a box design for my Dayton sub for my car.I guess it would need a down sized box which would mean no vents. Its a 15 inch dayton which I'll be putting in my old matrix which is my beater work vehicle. I would like to do a wedge type enclousure to go across the back of the rear fold down seat. Not really computer literate. lol As far as working with box building software. I'll attatch the spec sheet.Thanks for looking.

Comments

• For starters we'd need the dimensions of the enclosure. The diagram doesn't have to be pretty, but it needs the dimensions so the volume can be calculated.

rjj45
  • @Ed_Perkins said:
    For starters we'd need the dimensions of the enclosure. The diagram doesn't have to be pretty, but it needs the dimensions so the volume can be calculated.

Yeah, and whether EQ was going to be used, and max SPL desired.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Concerning volume: I did a quick sim of the RSS390HO-4 in WinISD. For a sealed box with a Qtc of 0.707 (normally preferred) it comes up with a volume of 1.634 ft3. Shoot for that if possible. WinISD gives an F3 of about 50 Hz. In a small car like the Matrix the low end response may be extended quite a bit.

• Ok great, I'll take some measure measurements and see what I come up with. And thanks for the response Ed.

• And I'm not sure about what you mean abouit the Eq and max spl, with the regards to this.?

• @Tony455 said:
    And I'm not sure about what you mean abouit the Eq and max spl, with the regards to this.?

Max SPL - so you if like monster bass very loud, that will need a particular box and amp, versus
    if you like music at "normal" volumes with extended deep bass, that will usually need EQ to boost
    low frequencies around 30-40Hz. the limiting factors are usually the maximum power handling of the
    subwoofer, and XMAX of the sub.
    Hope this helps.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Ok so I have a box design comes out to 1.64 will I need to add the volume that the speaker uses, displacement.And rj I like fairly normal volume, do like it to play low, I listen to some jazz and like the bass to sound like a bass, low octaves on the piano to sound life like. Not sure you can get that in a small car though.

• @Tony455 said:
    Ok so I have a box design comes out to 1.64 will I need to add the volume that the speaker uses, displacement.And rj I like fairly normal volume, do like it to play low, I listen to some jazz and like the bass to sound like a bass, low octaves on the piano to sound life like. Not sure you can get that in a small car though.

Yeah, you should be able to achieve that objective very well. The sub will probably sound great as is, or you might find that you like a little boost around 30-40. At that stage, let your ears guide you. That RSS390 has pretty awesome bass, and in a car you get cabin boost.

• Hi Ed, is that box size accounting for the volume of the speaker or do I have to add that volume. And what would that be?

• edited September 2021

That size is the net volume, after subtracting speaker and bracing volume. Here's a link to a Speaker Driver Displacement Calculator that should work: https://diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/SpeakerDriverDisplacement/

• OK so this is what I got for speaker displacement 0.12 ft3, so I would need to add this to the volume of the cabinet,correct?

• Yes. Also add the estimated volume of the bracing you'll use if possible.

• What amp (how much real, clean power) will you have to power this sub? With enough power that RSS390 will shake your rear view mirror!

Plus or minus 10% on the box volume will be totally inaudible in autosound.

rjj45
  • Ok thanks for your help guy's much appeciated. Not sure on the actual rms on the amp, but with a rockford fosgate 12 inch in there now, the rear view won't stay in place . Lol,so it should be plenty. Hoping for a cleaner sound.