Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

ND105-ND25 mini

edited September 2021 in DIY

Started putting these together about a year ago, then priorities changed and other projects took center stage.
And no, it doesn't have a greek name.....

Drivers: ND105-4
ND25FA-4

4 Liter ported box with 1 inch PVC port 4 inches long. Unibox says 58Hz F3, but I think it's more like 45Hz.
12mm Baltic Birch with amber shellac finish.
Bass is deep and satisfying at normal volumes.
These would make a nice HT surround or desktop near field speaker.
Crossover tuning took me 20 minutes (!!), and is pretty darn flat with a 25 dB reverse null.

More later.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
Tagged:
DanPdynamojoeybuttsScottSsquamishdrocPWRRYDTurn2

Comments

• I liked my foray with those tweeters as well. I see you agree with the higher xover point for them sounding better.
    Nicely done!

rjj45
  • Nice mini-monitors! I like the sound of those tweeters too. Getting a pair that matched was the main problem I had with them.

• Thanks guys!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • How much does flush mounting change things?

• @Kornbread said:
    How much does flush mounting change things?

For these drivers, probably not a lot, since the frames are so thin
    I’ve got a pair of RS150 - XT25 that I recently built and measures very smooth on axis. I assume problems if any would show up off- axis.

• final crossover. Note tweeter reverse polarity

• What? No Zobel on the woofer and L-pad on the tweeter? Grumpy would be sad :anguished:

And will they do a strong 40 Hz in that box :o

rjj45
  • All picking on Roemer aside I like what you did with those.

rjj45
  • @PWRRYD said:
    What? No Zobel on the woofer and L-pad on the tweeter? Grumpy would be sad :anguished:

And will they do a strong 40 Hz in that box :o

So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years!! :s

• @Tom_S said:

So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years!! :s

You must have not read Speaker Builder 201 ;)

rjj45
  • Most of us should probably read 201 or just zobel the shit out of everything.

• "Zobel"..... Z...Z...z.... Too far down the index, i am still stuck at "Active"

6thplanet
  • Nice small build....

• Thanks everyone!
    Yes, bass response is great, especially considering the 4L volume.
    I previously used some ND91s in a few builds, and was not really happy with them, and received
    advice that the ND105s are much better. And they are! Cleaner,stronger and deeper.

After all these years, used the last of those $.10 Mad 10uF caps. We need more buyouts like that.

ani_1016thplanet
  • I think they were $0.60, but yeah - great buyout.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • edited September 2021

Sometimes you shouldn't even ask the question - sometimes ignorance is bliss.
    These little fellows sound pretty good, but I took off axis measurements and normalized to the on axis FR.
    Crikey! Does not look very good. I am assuming that the big red vertical band between 4-5K is due solely to the narrow
    cabinet, and nothing can be done. I don't really hear any problems in the power response. Go figure.

AAAAHHHH! Figured it out!
    Since I have about a 5 dB dip at 4Khz on axis, when I normalized the off axis curves, this artificially makes that region appear to be way too hot. In reality, the on axis there is a little depressed, and the off axis curves measure fairly flat.

• Nice build. I have a few ND drivers im trying to figure out what ill ever do with so thanks for sharing.

• @D1PP1N said:
    Nice build. I have a few ND drivers im trying to figure out what ill ever do with so thanks for sharing.

I like the ND105, and will use it again...