Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Listening, the final frontier

edited April 2022 in DIY

I’ve received solid advice here on measuring, post modeling; i.e. advantage of looking at 15 degrees offset as well as at 0 degrees.

For what its worth, I now do a blend of @ 0 and 15 degrees (weighted ~ 2/3rds towards the 15 degree measurement) measured at 18in as well as at 30 inches. I find this a good initial check for the modeled passive Xover. Then make a few changes, listen, and remeasure.

While this will get me a speaker that measures well (at the speaker) and probably would sound good in ‘the perfect room’, our rooms (mine anyway) has significant impact on what I hear at / near my listening area. And this being our living/ family room hanging wall treatments and setting traps is a no-go. If you are a measuring type (I use REW) you quickly find the room has the upper-hand, and as such the importance of listening with the speakers set-up cannot be emphasized enough.

What I see in measuring from my listening area are more than a few problem frequency peaks and valleys, and as would be expected a downward tilt going from low to highest frequencies. So I look at ‘flat’ not necessarily being horizontal, but downward sloping- easy enough.

If a peak or valley correlate with a Xover range then it can be addressed back at the component level - but, as I’d expect most here would be in agreement, the goal at that point would be to use the measurements as a confirmation tool of what you are hearing- and let your ears drive the solution.

Outside of the Xover areas, I use a miniDSP to tame the peaks and then somewhat to deal with the dips. The general rule I’ve read is we are more aware of peaks than nulls, and try to employ eq as judiciously as possible. The mini is a parametric eq which gives great control on adjustments, is easy to set-up and I think is a deal for what it can do. Just don’t try to over-fit.

For the purists, do yourself a favor and do not compare your ‘at speaker’ measurement to your ‘at listening area’ measurements. I found it to be a real eye opener.

After some work, trying for a minimalist eq approach, I ended up with what I think sounds good (and secondarily measure confirmation).

(The null ~42Hz is room interaction with spkr / placement, or?. No matter what boost it remains, so I left it as was w/o eq)

Billet

Comments