Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

am I crazy?

B&K ST-140 MOSFET power amplifier 105 wpc - $225

I've got an opportunity to pickup this locally, looks like very good condition.
But I've already got a boat load of amps!
Would I be crazy to buy it, or crazy not to buy it?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
Tagged:
kenrhodes

Comments

• I would buy that amp in a heart beat. Might need to be recapped. Maybe offer $175 and negotiate from there. I have a Hitachi 50 WPC MOSFET amp and it sounds as good as or better than most of my other amps.

kenrhodesScottS
  • I have an ST140, bought it new in the late 80's. It's a decent little amp.

• You can never have to many.

Steve_Leerjj45
  • I agree with Craig's comment regarding recapping. If you can negotiate the cost of that into the price, it seems reasonable.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Thanks guys! I think there is a bit of a collector in all of us. Went to an estate sale on Saturday, and they had a set of the big Klipshhorns for $4500. At least that decision was easy - no room, and I haven't won the lottery!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I'd love to build a pair of K-horns just to say I did.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I haven't heard a pair of Klipschorns in years, but there's no way I would pay anywhere near that amount, even if I had the money and the space.

rjj45
  • @Tom_S said:
    I haven't heard a pair of Klipschorns in years, but there's no way I would pay anywhere near that amount, even if I had the money and the space.

I would definitely rework the crossovers, I'm not a fan of the Klipsch voicing.

rjj45
  • @Tom_S said:
    I haven't heard a pair of Klipschorns in years, but there's no way I would pay anywhere near that amount, even if I had the money and the space.

About 30yrs since I've heard a pair. They were driven by McIntosh tube gear. Dynamics were very good, both micro and macro, and that was all I have to say about them.