Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Studio monitors

Starting to get a decent way of recording at band practice, so I started a quicky speaker build. Need some play back units and free is always best. I grabbed some stuff off the shelf and did some browsing. The HiVi L6's have a few projects out there, Paul Carmody had them in a .5 cf, which seems reasonable. A pair of Usher 9950's matched up pretty nice under preliminary measurements.

After two hot freaking days I have the boxes together. Using what I had on hand they ended up with 3/4" front and backs, 1/4" side, top, and bottoms in MDF. Then I cut a bunch of 3/4x3/4 plywood sticks for bracing. Of course didn't cut enough, so I grabbed a few off cuts from the horder pile.

jr@macS7910Silver1omoSteve_Leeugly_wooferWolftajanesKornbreadkenrhodesPWRRYDand 3 others.

Comments

• Used one of these prefab ports, cut 3/4" off and melted a bit of a flare on the end. Puts it at 45Hz. Once I get to listen, I'll see if it'd be better off higher. I think Paul was around 55 with his.

• Man, for such a cool looking woofer, I freaking hate the mounting holes! WTF is up with that, really...4 regular and 4 countersunk? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Also, been awhile since I had to cut tweeter terminal notches😛

PWRRYD
  • Commercially, the alternate holes serve for grills and such. I've seen it somewhere used this way.
    Opinion, I find the L6 easy on the ears, but also lacking some finer detail that I get from the F6. Not a bad driver if you are okay with that. It has been fine for many builders.

I really like the 9950!

• True, not the most detailed driver, but very adequate. Definitely not a fan of the mounting arrangements.

The 9950 is a superb dome unit. Sad it and it's RS28F variant are no longer available. Anyone still have any?

• I have one pair of brand new RS28A left and one pair of used Rs288AS, no F's unfortunately.

• edited July 2022

I have a set of the RST28A-4's , they really lack in the top end department. Are the older ones the same?
    I passed on them as I was going through the stash.

• No the old ones were outstanding. A different animal altogether.

• Dig. That might be an option. I showed this project to a friend, now he wants a set.🤷🏼‍♂️ Now that I'm discussing it with him, I think I'll go fully active with his.

Steve_Lee
  • Anywho...after messing around with some crossover junk I have a mono unit up and playing. Sorry I don't have all the simulation junk, but I just modified a few other projects to make this happen. What can I say, I like playing with parts and measure/listen to the results.

As of now it's a 12dB electrical with a notch on the woofer and 18dB on the tweet. Have to ignore all the garbage down low as the HVAC is right next to the room. Poor thing rarely has a chance to stop🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't have enough junk to go stereo yet, plan on taking advantage of the discount at PE in a couple weeks.

Gowa
  • SIDE NOTE: upon my buddy wanting a set I had two other tweeters that fit this hole. I threw the RST's in...messed with the xovers...eww... nope. Dropped in a Tymphany BC25TG15-4, holy crap👍🏼 With the original xover for the Usher, it only needed a pad resistor adjustment and measured just as nice! It lacked a little from 15-20k compared to the 9950, but damn, sounds really good.

• I think the BC25 is what Matt Sobie used in the Blues project. No surprise it worked well.
    Good response you have there....

• @Wolf said:
    I think the BC25 is what Matt Sobie used in the Blues project. No surprise it worked well.
    Good response you have there....

Huh, that being a commercialy sold design, I didn't look much into it besides enclosure size. I concur, definitely a good choice. I don't remember how I ended up with them.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Sissy :p

This was just a joke as I know you have the chops for full on passives.

• That BC25 is pretty good. I bought a ton of them years ago that were branded Dali.

I have a signature.
  • @PWRRYD said:

@PWRRYD said:

Lol, right👍🏼
    He wants powered monitors, so I started checking out the Dayton amp/DSP boards. Those look quite bitchin if they're any good.

rjj45
  • @jr@mac said:
    That BC25 is pretty good. I bought a ton of them years ago that were branded Dali.

I used those Dali's in a speaker our youngest & I built together. You just can't beat it for the price. Dennis Murphy used the BC25 in his Affordable Accuracy Monitors. It was a redesign of the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR.

6thplanet
  • edited July 2022

Yeah those tweeters are a great value. I think it was a sleeper because decades ago I think it started life as the Vifa Logic BC25SG15-04.

I can't confirm that it's exactly the same as the BC25TG15-04, but the code name looks the same, the front appears the same, except the rear has a shielded cup. Yes a shielded tweeters in the days of CRTs.

The thing about being a fellow from down under, and being the last to get things, is that we are also often left with new old stock of discontinued things.

https://www.wagneronline.com.au/vifa-1-soft-dome-tweeter/vifa-nos-tymphany/speaker-drivers/audio-speakers-pa/bc25sg15-04-39412/959631/pd/

• Yeah, I measured the TG vs SG at one time, and other than a ~1db difference, they were identical.

I have a signature.
  • @6thplanet said:

@PWRRYD said:

@PWRRYD said:

Lol, right👍🏼
    He wants powered monitors, so I started checking out the Dayton amp/DSP boards. Those look quite bitchin if they're any good.

Interested in those also. I'll be reading your experiments/results if you go that direction.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @tktran said:
    Yeah those tweeters are a great value. I think it was a sleeper because decades ago I think it started life as the Vifa Logic BC25SG15-04.

I've used both and can't tell the difference; it's a very nice sounding tweeter unless you push it too loud. Used it in Classix II; with the SB16pfc in Michael Chua's Lark; and with the Peerless 830656 and 830657 two ways.

Geoff

>

• Exohide + left over kitchen cabinet paint👍🏼

jhollanderrjj45Steve_Leeugly_woofersquamishdrocWolf
  • Do you (and others) like Exohide?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Yeah, few dollars cheaper than the Duratex, works fine.

rjj45
  • Well, crossover assembly delayed. Stupid me didn't make sure I was given the right parts...

• I have found that P-cores are usually about 0.05mH high in value. 0.15mH is not much once you have 1.05mH wound. It might only take a few wraps of wire if you have some leftovers.

However, this is a screw-up, and your cost did not reflect the parts received.

How much is your time worth?

• I'm sure they'll take care of it, I'll wait. These can go in the stash👍🏼

• What a frickin disappointment! I finally got the package Monday. Only had one coil in it.🤦🏻‍♂️ Sent an email that evening, to which I received an email the next day stating they are on backorder. 🤬
    So I used the one I had in the stash and got the crossovers built last night.

• I've got another build tickling the back of my mind that could see service as a studio monitor at some point. Keep this post active so I keep thinking on it.

I have a signature.
  • Ok, so disregard the previous pic of crossover. Makes a big difference when the caps are in the correct order. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Also after testing the final version, I upped the tweeter pad to 4ohms.

Steve_Leerjj45