Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (6)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Please help me with math..

So I’m not good at this (among plenty of other things lol).. if someone could help that would be cool.

If I have a source plugged in (single ended rca) to a “passive preamp” (so a 10k pot), plugged into a 40k input impedance amp, roughly what input impedance is the source seeing? I assume this may change with the 10k pot position, so maybe what range.

Maybe this is an easy answer, either way I always appreciate the help.

Comments

• 8k, impedance doesn’t change with pot position.

dynamo
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Thanks! Am I correct in saying the impedance stays constant since it is like an L pad?

Also, would you explain how you arrived at 8k so I know how to figure it on my own in the future?

• edited December 2022

Sorry, bad answer. Impedance does change with pot position.

At 0% volume end of the sweep, you have the input of the amp essentially shorted to ground, so everything that the source sees is just the 10k pot.

At 100% volume the input of the amp receives full voltage from the source. The source sees 10k in parallel with 40k. Calculation can be searched easily as "resistors in parallel", so 1/((1/10000) + (1/40000)) = 8000 ohms.

At 50% volume (assuming linear sweep) source sees 5 k ohm in series with 5 k ohm in parallel with 40 k ohm. Calculation is 5000 + 1/((1/5000) + (1/40000)) = 9444 ohms.

So impedance the source sees varies from 10k to 8k over the sweep range.

Steve_Leedynamo
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Awesome thanks and that makes total sense to me thanks to your explanation!