Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Purifi

13»

Comments

• Let us not forget this $11 jobber:

I am believing more and more Purifi tech is derivative, not groundbreaking. 
    PWRRYDkenrhodesjhollanderdcibel
    I have a signature.
  • You let us know how they sound compared to the Purifi lol
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Purely top of the Pyramid performance
  • I'm sure it is the surround, not the motor utilising established tech, that separates the Purifi from $12 woofers. 
    I have a signature.
  • Couple years ago, it was ovoid voice coils from SS that represented the breakthrough. 

Always a company willing to market strange looking shit, and always a crowd ready to declare strange looking shit is the second coming, especially if the strange looking shit costs a mortgage payment. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Couple years ago, it was ovoid voice coils from SS that represented the breakthrough. 

Always a company willing to market strange looking shit, and always a crowd ready to declare strange looking shit is the second coming, especially if the strange looking shit costs a mortgage payment. 
    I'm not fooled by the strange looking shit, but their measurements jive with Hifi Compass' measurements and look better than any 7" driver on that site.  Whether that correlates to the best driver on the site is up for debate, but just achieving the paper results is something to take note of and investigate further IMO.
    rjj45BrannigansLaw
  • Yep, great measurements, still derivative technology. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Yep, great measurements, still derivative technology. 
    Small improvements to existing technology is how we get everything.  This seems to be the current culmination of what is available in driver design - the state of the art for now.  I'm curious.
    dcibel
  • edited June 2020
    I am too. I just read a post over in FB from some DeSilva guy who implied Purifi will be pulling out of the DIY market at some point. He was a dick about it, too. 
    DanP
    I have a signature.
  • Call it derivative, call it breakthrough, who cares. Loudspeaker technology moves ahead at a snails pace, small changes that people eventually realize "yes, this is better" is how the industry advances.

I commend the Engineering that went into the Purifi driver, they risked having their baby called ugly in the name of making the best driver they could, and are forthcoming on the technical aspects without marketing fluff. They should be commended for that.

The surround solves a problem of not only breaking up "edge resonance" but solving a nonlinearity that is present in every high excursion driver with a half roll surround.  with a large half roll you have different forces on the cone when the cone moves inward vs outward which causes increasing harmonic distortion at high excursions. The weird surround in Purifis driver aims to correct this.

Sure companies like Fostex have made odd shaped surrounds and even odd shaped cones in order to breakup the breakup, so it's not that new of an idea, yet many high end manufacturers still choose a standard surround. I am absolutely certain that every high end driver engineer is aware of the problems presented by the half roll surround as well.

I think over time this weird surround shape will be looked at like the Scan slit cones, a small change to a speaker that just simply makes it perform better. Call it what it is - well engineered.

Fwiw that bike tire surround in the Pyramid driver is also present in a very well performing 18Sound pro midrange driver. I guess that makes the Pyramid a bargain and a trend setter!
    DanPBrannigansLaw
  • The Pyramid is good enough for it's price. I had one in for testing several years ago, I keep meaning to buy another one and do the testing again. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited June 2020
    I have always thought that the cones and dust caps on my Usher 8945A's look kinda rugly (randomly ugly)...  but boy do they sound good to my ears  =)

And those cones are total knockoffs of 15-20 year old technology right?
  • edited June 2020
    Purifi now available at Solen, still a little out of reach on the price tag though :)

They list the 6.5", the 4" as well as the matching passive radiators.

The datasheet for the 4" for anyone interested:

• XRK971 over on DIY Audio built a pair of speakers with the Purifi driver and a RS28F in a wave guide.  People on the site are excited about it.
    dcibel
  • Long live the original RS28F/RS28A!  
  • Holy cow, way more than I can spend. 
  • A pair cost more than I paid for my first few cars   :#
  • At nearly $500, one cost as much as my first car, 72' Ford Maverick w/250 inline 6.  Fill it up with oil and check the gas.  
  • Remember Solen is in Canadian loonies, so the price for the 6.5" is only $360 freedom dollars, roughly the same price as Madisound.
  • The 4 inch mid-woofer is pretty reasonable.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Heh- they are more than my first car cost me as well! I won it at after-prom my senior year in high school; 'twas a 9 year old Chevy Cavalier, and I dumped about a grand into it keeping it running for the 2.5 years I drove it. There is a long list of what my dad and I replaced or did to that car. When I sold it for $200, it kept blowing ECM fuses when I tried to start it, so I popped a 40A blade in it and watched it being driven away.

Compared to luxury cars like the Purifi is to speakers, my first car was like finding a rusty Bose driver in a dumpster and trying to make it work as my sole speaker for that amount of time.