Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Purifi

Comments

• ani_101 said:
    Are the amps complete units or require separate  power supplies? Don't know much about amps to tell... but they seem to be 2 ohm stable... 

https://purifi-audio.com/eigentakt/
    The amps need power supplies and there appear to be input buffers boards that mate up to them. Definitely 2 ohm stable from the graphs.  Expensive.  

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/purifiaudio1et400a 

http://https//www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/nord-three-se-1et400a-dual-mono-stereo-amp-review.9938/

Ron
  • The amps do not include power supply, their docs say that you can use even basic unregulated smps without performance degredation.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited December 2019
    dcibel said:

I clicked the Tech page, too, the top 2 Articles were pretty interesting about low frequency distortion and cone mass vs speed.

The low frequency distortion article was a good read.  Maybe we should be paying more attention to IM distortion and less to harmonic distortion.  IIRC both SL and Mark K. stressed the importance of IM distortion.  
  • I'm excited to see the 4", though less so about the 84 dB sensitivity. One thought I've had is to use the 6.5" as an OB midrange along with either a couple SB34NRX75-16s or SDX10s per side, also OB.  If I went that route, I would probably seriously consider putting the TL tweeters (or Bliesmas) in some sort of waveguide so I could cross low.
  • The 4 inch has more than piqued my interest. With the ultra-low HD and claimed low IMD, they are on a short list with the Satoris and maybe the new SB Textremes.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • dcibel said:

I clicked the Tech page, too, the top 2 Articles were pretty interesting about low frequency distortion and cone mass vs speed.

The low frequency distortion article was a good read.  Maybe we should be paying more attention to IM distortion and less to harmonic distortion.  IIRC both SL and Mark K. stressed the importance of IM distortion.  
    The midrange distortion caused by BL modulation at low frequencies is just another reason why 3-way speakers are just better, even with less complex drivers ;)

rjj45
  • dcibel said:
    dcibel said:

The midrange distortion caused by BL modulation at low frequencies is just another reason why 3-way speakers are just better, even with less complex drivers ;)

Or even higher complex drivers ;)
    dcibel
  • dcibel said:
    dcibel said:

My wife and I have always preferred 3 way sound, even though I couldn't quote empirical evidence why. 

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • It's probably the doppler distortion :)

It can be difficult to narrow down exactly what the cause of a preference is with a lot of design changes. Moving from 2 way to 3 way will have changes in linear and non-linear distortion as well as power response, even doppler effects, but which one of those changes are the reason why I have such a preference, and which ones are inconsequential side effects?
    rjj45
  • But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • rjj45 said:
    Jeez. I know what drivers I am saving for....
    Which ones?!?
  • Wondering if going 3 way with the 6.5 or 4 would be worthwhile or these becomes strictly 2 ways given the xmax and ability to play low... Would there be a mid range driver???
  • edited December 2019
    ani_101 said:
    rjj45 said:
    Jeez. I know what drivers I am saving for....
    Which ones?!?
    Eventually, I (along with everyone else), will build some TMs in small(ish) boxes and marvel at the bass extension and clear mids. I'm on a 3 way "kick" now, and would welcome a SOTA mid (3.5-4.5 inches) for (what looks like it will be) a reasonable price. 
    Purifi looks like they have solved some fundamental problems, and should quickly get a lot of market share. I hope that they can stay independent....
  • RJ... On another forum they (Purifi) said they were working on a 95ish db 4in midrange.
    rjj45
  • That should be nice for a there way.
    The current 6.5 should make a killer TM though.
  • e6zion said:
    RJ... On another forum they (Purifi) said they were working on a 95ish db 4in midrange.
    That sounds awesome!  I take it this is NOT the PTT4.0 (https://purifi-audio.com/transducers/ptt4-0w04/)
  • Glad to see them hit retail! Man, that's one ugly-ass surround. Looks like speaker grills are coming back to DIY.
  • Hopefully they carry the full line...
  • And the surround doesn't look too bad in person...
  • edited June 2020
    That photo makes it look like it was made on the Monday morning the day after the Daytona 500 at a Dodge assembly plant   :#
  • I hadn't seen the rear of the cone until now- that reinforcing V-Ring likely has a hand in the cone edge resonance control. 

The surround is well- yeah- despite being ugly- akin to that of the for-and-aft surrounds that some car audio drivers and Fostex (called UDR/tangential, in FW168HP-X and Sigma series) have had for a couple decades now, albeit a little more extreme in profile.

Fostex driver with UDR:
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-fullrange/fostex-fe108ez-4-full-range-sigma-series/

• If you really look at things, speakers want to be massively ugly to produce good sound. Even the enclosure is subject to this.
    BrannigansLaw
  • 6thplanet your speakers are not massively ugly...
  • 6thplanet said:
    If you really look at things, speakers want to be massively ugly to produce good sound. Even the enclosure is subject to this.
    I agree with this to some degree. In rare cases, they can be pretty *and* functional (eg avalon), but others (eg Grimm) and my own attempts to make substantive dents in things like edge diffraction look ok on paper, but when I see them in person, they look awful more often than not.  
  • Ha!,thanks. I chose form over function sometimes (most times). You all get what I mean, enclosures want big round overs/ champers, things offset, felt stuck to them, ect... Then drivers with the weird surrounds, proper phase plugs, cone treatments/shapes (yellow ones sound the best to me😛) So we chose where to draw the line to have some visual aesthetics and still sound good. Maybe Ben should do an ugliest great sounding speaker theme?
  • Sorta did that- Rat Rockers back in 201_, not sure the year. Lots of ugly that year.
    6thplanet
  • Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I actually think the mountainous surround looks neat - it makes for very easy brand recognition and a talking point for you to talk up how superior your speakers are to the feeble competition :)

Regarding the V shape on the backside of the cone, here's an excerpt from the Hificompass interview:
    Yevgeniy  Kozhushko: I think the peripheral circular rib at the back edge of the cone is made for resolving surround-edge-of-cone resonance problem?
    Lars  Risbo: Yes, this is to strengthen the cone rim and thereby to suppress unwanted modes.