Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iowa DIY project

It's been a very busy few months at work, but quieting down a little now. So I've been working hard the past week to get my speakers built for this year's big party in Ankeny.

Made quite a few holes today! 

That made a pile of shavings!

We're getting closer to making some noise, but still some cutting & drilling to be done before I can start measuring. Hopefully that will happen this weekend. I'm not all that confident about the RST28F being up to task, but you never know until you try. 

6thplanetPWRRYDJasonP4thtryS7910rjj45ThumperTom

Comments

• Cool project.  Look forward to hearing these in a few weeks. 
  • I'm looking forward to seeing you Bill! These may be naked and might not sound all that great, but they'll be there even if they're held together with clamps & duct tape!
    hifiside4thtry
  • More progress this weekend - the baffles are 1.5" thick. I'm hoping this will be enough breathing room for the woofer. 

I wanted to radius the tops of the baffles, so I had to make a quick jig - 

The tweeter cutout with the toggle clamp delaminated, so I had to improvise for the second baffle.

I have to decide soon - roundover or chamfer?

4thtry
  • And the old adage is true - you can never have enough clamps! I picked up a bunch of the cheap Harbor Freight 18" clamps Saturday morning. They are the blue ones. Not the strongest or smoothest operating, but if you don't need a ton of clamps force you can't go wrong for less than $6.00 each.

PWRRYDS7910JasonP4thtry
  • Any reason for the space between the tweeter and woofer? I always put them as close together as possible.
  • Tom_S said:
    And the old adage is true - you can never have enough clamps! I picked up a bunch of the cheap Harbor Freight 18" clamps Saturday morning. They are the blue ones. Not the strongest or smoothest operating, but if you don't need a ton of clamps force you can't go wrong for less than $6.00 each.

I’d rather have 20 “ok” clamps over 1 great one.😁
  • I have about 40 "ok" clamps  :o
    hifiside
  • PWRRYD said:
    I have about 40 "ok" clamps  :o

OK=Harbor Freight
     John H, thanks to JP I did get that email
  • 6thplanet said:
    Any reason for the space between the tweeter and woofer? I always put them as close together as possible.
    I wouldn't normally have this much room between them. But I need to be sure there is a good flat area above the woofer since the tweeter is going to be hanging out above the top of the cabinet on this one. 
  • PWRRYD said:
    I have about 40 "ok" clamps  :o
    I have a stash of super cheap Chinese 36 inchers that I bought decades ago at some five and dime store. I don't use them unless I need longer clamps. They leave a lot to be desired - not milled flat and really bow when any pressure is applied. But they did the job (just barely) when I was doing more traditional wood working in a previous life.
  • Oh, so the woofer is in the box and the tweeter is above, "open baffle". Pic makes more sense now, thought the baffle was just sitting that way for picture purposes. I dig it !
  • I'm a bit behind schedule, too many other things going on. But I think I'll still make it by the 19th. I installed the binding posts & wire, then lined the box with Noico and some blue fluffy stuff before gluing the front on.

The front is sloped at 5 degrees. I used the cutoffs from the side panels to make a quick angle jig for my crosscut sled. That made trimming and sanding the top & bottom of the face pretty easy.

I routed a 6" hole in the top of the face so I could hot glue some temporary wedges underneath in the corners. Zipped the router around the inside edge and I now have ledges for T-nuts to hold the baffle on. That hot glue is strong stuff. It took some effort with a chisel and hammer to pry two of those wedges loose.

I just need to pick up some dowel centers from Menards tomorrow (thanks for that idea Javad!), drill all the holes, and hopefully I can start measuring soon. 
    6thplanet4thtryJasonPS7910