Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New (to me) audio gear

Just wanted to send a shout out to Mike (D1pp1n) and DanP.  I  bought an Adcom CD player from Mike and an Adcom GFA545ii power amp from Dan at the Menicus/CSS event in Grand Rapids.  I finally got the chance to swap them in and out of my system and compare how they sound.  

The Adcom CD player works prefectly, has a remote (huge bonus), and sounds cleaner and more natural than my Yamaha natural sound CD player.  This is definitely my new CD player.  Big thanks to Mike!

The Adcom power amp is a step up from my Rotel.  It is super clean, absolutely no noise, and sounds so much more powerful and dynamic than the Rotel.  Its' 100wpc sounds like a lot more compared to the Rotel's 60wpc.  The Rotel sounds a bit more "warm".  Not sure if that's good or bad.  I'm gonna need to swap back and forth for a while to decide that.  Anyway, the amp works perfectly.  Big thanks to Dan!
jr@macSilver1omoJasonPrjj45D1PP1Nkennyk

Comments

• Rotel does have a house curve, so it very well may sound warmer.
  • Glad you like it Craig!  I recently upgraded to a gfa-5500 and after about 1 o'clock on the volume knob, the bigger amp definitely wins out.  At lower volumes though I think I actually preferred the 545II.  It is a very clean and dynamic amp.

Dan
  • I wish I could say I was happy for you on the CD player....😒
    Bryan@MACjhollanderS7910D1PP1N
  • PWRRYD said:
    Its' 100wpc sounds like a lot more compared to the Rotel's 60wpc.
    Amp power ratings are a nightmare. Designers for years have known that continuous and peak output vary greatly for a dynamic audio signal, and for a while "headroom" was included in measurements. I throw my hands up at this point.
    rjj45
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • No problem Craig. I really loved that CD players sound. I'm sure at some point ill regret selling it. The 5 disc is nice too because you can keep your omnimic test tones in there and some demo music.