Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (7)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

slot-loaded tweeters (and 2 much time on my hands...)

With claims of 140 x 40 dispersion (i.e. the Beyma ‘s), would appear to be a good way to minimize ceiling/floor reflections and at the same time broaden the listening sweet spot. (If interested in the theory behind diffraction- it’s a bit long; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU3I-h8nyhE )

So it got me thinking, could this be incorporated into a coaxial?

Selected a DaytonAudio 4in (not my fav coax, but priced for destruction…).  First thought- good project for a 3D printer, but unfortunately last time I looked- not in my toolbox.  So what can I come up with that can be trimmed to fit, with a needed dome to mirror the tweeter?  And further needed to raise approx 1/32 off the center flange to provide clearance.  Came up with using a ping-pong ball, and of all things trimmed off a ring from a chair leg floor protector I had  (surprisingly an exact fit 7/8th inch ring).  As for the ping-pong ball, cuts easily, sanded to size (sanded against fine grain sheet flat on a table top), and glued to the trim ring, and then the tweeter flange.  Also put a little glue to underneath side as an attempt to dampen the ping-pong ball a bit.

I’ve attached a few pics of the process, and a couple of frequency charts.  The first frequency chart is of the tweeter ‘as was’ - actually kind of ugly off axis (approx 15-20 degrees off axis).  The second is with the ping-pong ball slot in place.   While it does seem to help on a relative basis on one axis, measuring from the other axis rolls off the response (hoped for, expected, and a good thing) but does so in a roller-coaster response (not so good).  But heck, it’s a ping-pong ball.  

hifiside6thplanet

Comments

• edited October 2019
    I failed to mention, the blue lines in both charts are the off-axis scans (and a bit surprisingly, with the slot the off-axis is the higher line)
  • edited October 2019
    ...and after reading comments / suggestions by dcibel in another discussion (very helpful- thx), thinking the second measurment showing higher off-axis can be attributed to slightly closer mic placement...
  • It irritated my wife, but I put small pieces of tape on the floor to help me get more consistency in my measurements. I also put alignment marks on the mic stand etc. Pretty straightforward to hit a little more consistency at this point. Add a tape measure and things really start lining up.

Cool experiment!
    I have a signature.
  • The AWA generally stays downstairs and lets me get away with a lot upstairs as long as I don't make enough noise to drown out her constant Harry Potter reruns.  There is tape on the floor designating speaker and mic placement at 0, 10, 20, 35, and 45 degrees @ 1 meter.    
    jr@mac
  • thx for suggestions (and btw jr, I've got a knack for that as well, and often not even needing tape...)
    jr@mac
  • tajanes said:
    thx for suggestions (and btw jr, I've got a knack for that as well, and often not even needing tape...)
    I hear that, my friend.
    I have a signature.