Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Newark sale on drivers

2»

Comments

• Great tip, Tom. Need to flip the boxes... But i have a few (a lot) without any boxes... need to figure out something
  • Tom_S said:
    If you are like many of us, time flies and you'll have a few woofers sitting on the shelf for years. It was told to store them vertically so the cones won't sag over time. I bought some Vifa 5.5" woofers years ago that were sagging badly. The price was great, but it's taken years stored on their backs to return to normal. That reminds me - I should probably check them again.
    Ok, now I'm confused.
    To me, storing vertically means that the cones are vertically aligned.
    Storing "on their backs" means magnet is on the bottom, and the cone is horizontally aligned.
    All of my drivers are "on their backs". Is that ok?
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Not really, unless you periodically flip them over. Gravity is constantly pulling the moving assembly down, so best to store with the cone facing left or right, dig?
    rjj45
  • Let me know if you plan to sell any of these defective/ damaged drivers.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • How'd the move go John?
  • rjj45 said:
    Tom_S said:
    If you are like many of us, time flies and you'll have a few woofers sitting on the shelf for years. It was told to store them vertically so the cones won't sag over time. I bought some Vifa 5.5" woofers years ago that were sagging badly. The price was great, but it's taken years stored on their backs to return to normal. That reminds me - I should probably check them again.
    Ok, now I'm confused.
    To me, storing vertically means that the cones are vertically aligned.
    Storing "on their backs" means magnet is on the bottom, and the cone is horizontally aligned.
    All of my drivers are "on their backs". Is that ok?

Store the drivers as they would be if they were in the mounted in a cabinet, so not resting on the magnet... which mean most boxes should on on their sides... or as 6th said flip them periodically...
    rjj45
  • edited October 2019
    I like the looks of the larger HB boxes.  Should be large enough to fit larger caps and maybe a few smaller coils. 

Sag; I would have thought the smaller the woofer the more resistance to sag?  

How do you store big subs, without boxes, on their sides? 
  • Thanks for the help guys! Time to rotate my stored drivers!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • PWRRYD said:
    How'd the move go John?
    I won't whine to much as I know a few people here have also moved.  After talking with Adam, Eric's friend at MWAF, I used his suggestions and the moves went well. 

It's the post move that is stressful.  Nothing is where it was before and everything is a project.  It's a project to find tools to do the project.  Monday after the last move it was a hunt to find pants to wear to work.  I could go on but It's 6:44 and we are still figuring out diner.
    rjj456thplanetPWRRYD
  • I'm on Newark's mailing list and got this discount offer.

Ron
  • I dread the day that we decide to move.  Between all my car parts, speaker parts, wife's teaching stuff, and kid's stuff, it will be quite the task  :s
  • It sucks! I filled a 10yard dumpster with stuff accumulated in my garage alone. Still had 2 moving trucks worth of shit left. The house was a whole nother story. Did I mention it SUCKS!
    PWRRYDrjj45
  • One weekend and two truck loads was tools and speakers. Second weekend was two truck loads, outdoor crap, garage, wood, boxes, TVs, etc. Third weekend was professional movers, beds and furniture. The storage unit is still full of boxes and more junk.

We need to get rid of this stuff, who needs 3 dining room tables and chairs?
    6thplanet
  • One weekend and two truck loads was tools and speakers. Second weekend was two truck loads, outdoor crap, garage, wood, boxes, TVs, etc. Third weekend was professional movers, beds and furniture. The storage unit is still full of boxes and more junk.

We need to get rid of this stuff, who needs 3 dining room tables and chairs?
    Tempting - can I make solid hardwood baffles from the tables? <JK!>