Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Newark sale on drivers

Some nice stuff at nice prices right now at Newark:

Dynavox 6" Honeycomb midwoofer - $34.14

Dynavox 5" Honeycomb midwoofer - $31.71

Dynavox 5-1/4" Poly midwoofer - $29.20

MCM Audio Select:

1" Large Flange aluminum dome tweeter - $9.15

8" Die Cast Woofer (the KB model, 7.5mm Xmax) - $26.42

3" Die Cast Woofer (KB series, ultra low distortion) - $12.88

1" Silk Dome tweeter - $8.72. Both this tweeter and the aluminum dome use a well designed rear chamber, are very low distortion above 2K or so. 

6.5" Die Cast Woofer (KB model, 7.5mm Xmax) - $21.13

4" Aluminum Cone Woofer - $10.49

4" Die Cast Woofer (KB Series, another very low distortion driver) - $15.86

In addition, it looks like quite a few of their more basic drivers are on sale, as well. The drivers that are essentially identical to the GRS poly drivers at PE, for example. 

I have a signature.
dcibel

Comments

• edited October 14
    Wow!  Those 8" die cast KB woofers (55-5670) model really great.  A pair of them in parallel in  ~50 Liters vented would make a killer TMWW.
  • Almost identical bass performance to the RS225P-8A for less than half the price!

Must resist... must resist...  must resist...

Ah shucks...  can't resist!
  • Add the extra excursion the KB offers and it is a no-brainer, to be honest.
    I have a signature.
  • anyone have measurements for the 8" KB and measured T/S Specs?
  • Javad, Duane, and Chuck I believe all have first hand experience with them.

I am seeing a small, sealed enclosure using a pair of each 8" per, in an opposed alignment, with a plate amp utilizing some EQ. Take advantage of the long throw. 
    I have a signature.
  • I'm still working on my 55-5665 Iso build...
  • I'll not be isobarically loading them - although that would be fun. 
    I have a signature.
  • I'd really like to try those Dynavox honeycomb drivers, they look pretty cool, but there's very little info at all online about them beyond the spec sheet.
    My opinions are 100% factual
  • Bought an eight pack....  four 8's and four 4's.
  • Sadly, I'm out of speaker shelf space. I'll have to live vicariously through you Craig. But if there are any amazing deals in Ankeny....
  • Tom_S said:
    Sadly, I'm out of speaker shelf space. I'll have to live vicariously through you Craig. But if there are any amazing deals in Ankeny....
    There should be...
    I have a signature.
  • Ani,

My delivery from Newark is supposed to arrive today.  If you would like I will bring one of the 8's to Ankeny.  You can bring your laptop and DATS and grab the real T/S parameters.  Bring some blue painter's tape and a stack of nickels for the added mass test.
  • edited October 17
    Thanks Craig! unfortunately, I only have my work laptop with me now, and I can't install anything on it, so i won't be able to measure the T/S specs. I do my measurements and sim work on a dedicated desktop loaded with windows 2007!!! it's an old machine sitting around doing nothing, so it plays streaming services and measurement and simulation s/w...

Waiting for this thanksgiving to buy a shiny new device... but the good thin light ones are soooo expensive
  • edited October 17
    Depending on how cheaply i can get by at IOWA (I always seem to end up with drivers that i don't need and then buy more drivers to complement those, use neither and buy new ones for the build), I might just get a few...
    DanP
  • I'll bring it anyway.  That way you or anyone else can grope it.
  • Craig - I can bring my LIMP setup if you can bring the tape & some change. 
  • Thanks Craig and Tom... The Manufacturer T/S specs models great, but the actual always tends to be a bit off... !

I'll get the tape and change!!!
  • I'll bring my little digital scale.
  • MCM drivers arrived as expected.  Just for fun I'm breaking one 8" in right now with 60 Hz at xmax.  I will bring another still in its unopened box to measure for comparison.
  • I just tested my LIMP rig - still works like charm! See you tomorrow!
  • I will be experimenting with added mass on the MCM 8". At $26, I won't be out too much if I screw them up. 
    I have a signature.
  • Here are the results from the our attempts in Ankeny. I'll be curious to see how the noise level in the room impacted the measurement.

Fs  = 35.62 Hz
    Re  = 6.49 ohms[dc]
    Le  = 236.44 uH
    L2  = 282.15 uH
    R2  = 6.90 ohms
    Qt  = 0.33
    Qes = 0.44
    Qms = 1.36
    Mms = 19.37 grams
    Rms = 3.175131 kg/s
    Cms = 0.001031 m/N
    Vas = 66.21 liters
    Sd= 213.82 cm^2
    Bl  = 7.975881 Tm
    ETA = 0.65 %
    Lp(2.83V/1m) = 91.14 dB

Added Mass Method:
    Added mass = 25.30 grams
    Diameter= 16.50 cm

ani_101JasonP
  • -- and we were guessing, not measuring the cone diameter.
  • edited October 21
    Needed to get some boxes out of the floor so a sheet of plywood and a few 2x4s split down the middle and we now have a shelf.  How do you guys store big sub woofers, they take up too much shelf space.

What do you guys suggest for a cheap way to keep crossover parts organized?     

• The Dynavox 5" honeycomb looks cool, and has a very nice FR, but doesn't look like it has any copper in the gap, so distortion is probably mediocre. Am I right?

Don, Donno, or "Hey you" all work for me, But never "Mr Johnson"
  • Kornbread said:
    Needed to get some boxes out of the floor so a sheet of plywood and a few 2x4s split down the middle and we now have a shelf.  How do you guys store big sub woofers, they take up too much shelf space.

Ideally, lots of medium sized drawers. Other than that, I look for sales on smallish (4 QT, for instance) plastic tubs and label them (IE: CAPS 6-8uF)

Don, Donno, or "Hey you" all work for me, But never "Mr Johnson"
  • Kornbread said:

These Plano boxes are good for resistors & smaller coils.

These Harbor Freight boxes work well for bigger inductors and caps. They are cheap too - $5 each!

rjj45
  • If you are like many of us, time flies and you'll have a few woofers sitting on the shelf for years. It was told to store them vertically so the cones won't sag over time. I bought some Vifa 5.5" woofers years ago that were sagging badly. The price was great, but it's taken years stored on their backs to return to normal. That reminds me - I should probably check them again.