Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Getting back into the swing of things.

2»

Comments

• edited December 2019
    My methodology is to open a folder just for that speaker, in this case the Sadies.  The unibox model, Sketchup model, diffraction calcs, crossover sims, and everything else associated with that speaker goes into that folder.  I'll keep brief tabs similar to yours but I find the largest struggle is remembering which crossover revisions sounded like what.  It appears impossible to describe in type what my ears are seeing especially the short comment section under a measurement and it's too time consuming to write a novel.  My system of keeping track of things needs to improve.

After listening for some time they never really sounded harsh but some female vocals had too much hair up on top of their voice.  Some kind of a glass like sound similar to an overdriven piezo tweeter in an old car boombox.  Although it took a while, I'm surprised that after all these years working in a noisy factory and tinnitus that I could even hear what was going  on up there.

Once again the crossover is almost finalized.  If it still sounds good after a few weeks, going to solder/glue everything except R3/R4 (works that area around 5-8k) and R2 (overall tweeter level).    
    Offset the response graph to show the notch filter ~620hz.  Although the fs is ~450hz, this is what made the stop-band look more betterer.     
    And thanks for the idea on the tweeter @Tom_S Going to listen for a couple weeks and hopefully call it done. 

7_3.1451 from earlier post (maroon and green) and 7_3.15 (pink) on axis.  It's only ~1.5db difference up there but either my eyes are telling my ears what's going on or it really does sound different.        

• 6-7-8 Khz is sibilance area, and often a problem with some female singers - so I use those in my tuning / tweaking sessions - for instance Bonnie Raitt has a bit of an "ess" problem on Road Tested. If that bugs me, I have to bring the tweeter level down or rework the crossover.
    ani_101
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!

• How bad is it if I did this with a 1.5 and a .15mh?  They are about an inch apart.  Should have held off the Angry Orchard sampler pack till later ...      

• At an inch apart, you are likely okay.
  • Is the coil on the right an air core standing up on its side or do those straight lines represent an iron core running North/South?
  • PWRRYD said:
    Is the coil on the right an air core standing up on its side or do those straight lines represent an iron core running North/South?

Air coil standing on edge.  For what it's worth, pear Angry Orchard is meh, the unfiltered apple cider is ok, and that's as far as I got.  Yep, these days I'm a cheap drunk.