Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

My 20-20 Indy theme project

Comments

• In general, when in need of a large cap like that, is it better to stack them or use just one?   
  • Shop sale parts :)

7 of these per channel adds up to only CAD$36 for a pair of speakers:

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • There you go, for 120uF only USD$24

• Fantastic!!!  I will order 12 of those tomorrow.  Thank you!
  • It's funny Craig, I remember thinking the same thing about OB mids, and I haven't.
  • PWRRYD said:
    ..I wonder how much different a film cap would sound there.
    Significant. I’m voicing mine right now and the mid uses a 22uf cap for the hp. In switching between a solen cap and a Mundorf Ecap plain (which is supposed to be a fantastic NPE), there is no comparison. The poly is way clearer. It’s not just a difference of the extra half ohm or so of ESR. I also measured the Mundorf and it is accurate; I’ve heard horror stories of those being way out of spec.

I thought they sold those cheap Bennic polyester caps at Madisound but they don’t anymore. Looks like they clearanced out the bennics and there aren’t many left. Even the NPEs.
  • 6thplanet said:
    It's funny Craig, I remember thinking the same thing about OB mids, and I haven't.
    So.....  I'm not completely crazy about this  :3
  • Thanks Dynamo.  I look forward to hearing the difference between the single 125 uF 100V NPE cap from PE vs the six 20 uF poly caps in parallel.  I built 6 inch tall bases to raise the tweeters to ear level and plan on mounting the xo's in those.  Plenty of room for all the xo parts.  I'm just disappointed the coronavirus cancel Indy.  These babies would have been ready, complete with a finish on them, something I'm not known for  :o
  • According to Wolf in this thread they measured about 18.8uF.

• Haha, now is the time to try that bypass cap  :)
    jr@mac
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Haha, now is the time to try that bypass cap  :)
    No way Jose!
  • edited March 2020
    Oops, errant post
  • Might ask Dan if he still has those big Erse polypros
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • According to Wolf in this thread they measured about 18.8uF.
     I was curious, so I just measured 3 of mine with my cheap little LCR meter: 18.9uf, 19.2uf, & 19uf. 
  • I just ordered 12 of those caps.  Hopefully they'll be here by the weekend.
  • What's with the dual leads? How are these caps supposed to be wired?
  • ani_101 said:
    What's with the dual leads? How are these caps supposed to be wired?
    Just use one, or twist together. 
    ani_101
    I have a signature.
  • InDIYana is only postponed at this point. I'm hopeful a later date can be utilized.
    Billet
  • Film definitely sounds a bit smoother, asc 20 uf caps are dirt cheap!  Stack em up!
  • The twin leads might be useful when wiring those caps in parallel.  Maybe that is what they are for.
    ani_101
  • Woohoo!  USPS tracking says the caps will be delivered tomorrow.  $2 per cap is not too bad, but add tax and $8 shipping... ouch.

• 6thplanet said:
    It's funny Craig, I remember thinking the same thing about OB mids, and I haven't.
    haha, I'm a member of that club too :) I know OB mids are not for everyone, but I love em!
  • I still have a pair of Paul Carmody's Aether's that I cobbled together years back. I really like the sound of that design, but they sure are different from a boxed speaker when it comes to soundstage - at least in my little listening room.  

Do you have those caps wired up yet Craig? Are better than the old yellow Madisound buyouts? I've had a few of those that were definitely not right.
  • I measured all the individual caps this morning.  They ranged from 18.77 uF to 19.17 uF.  So I grouped them with the highest and lowest, 2nd highest and 2nd lowest, etc so that they would average to the same.  They are hot glued together in bundles and their leads tightly twisted together and soldered.  Group 1 = 113.11 uF, Group 2 = 113.08 uF.  Modeling in WinPCD shows no visable difference between the modeled 125 uF and 113 uF.  I'll have to measure the 125 uF NPE caps when I unsolder them.  I'll report beck what they measured.  Listen tests will of course be highly subjective since I won't be doing anything near blind testing, and $24 worth of film caps HAS to sound better than a couple bucks worth of NPEs, right?   ;)
    jholtzani_101WolfAdamM3
  • Don't know about sound, but a bank of fat caps would look way more intimidating than a puny npe...
  • PWRRYD said:
    ...$24 worth of film caps HAS to sound better than a couple bucks worth of NPEs, right?   ;)
    If I disagree will that help even out the confirmation bias?

Wolf
  • Well I can't say we're comparing apples to apples.  The NPE caps measured 128 uF and 129 uF.

The ESR of the poly caps were fairly consistent across the freq range: 

0.24 @120 Hz, 0.27 @1 kHz, and 0.29 @10 kHz

The ESR of the NPE's was not:

0.54 @120 Hz, 0.33 @1 kHz, and 0.13 @ 10 kHz

I am not set up to flip back and forth between the two.  So I am listening to the poly's now and can only say it sounds good.  Better?  Worse?  Different?  IDK
  • I can tell by the sound of your post, it sounds WAY better.
    PWRRYD
  • So for the fun of it I decided to solder in a couple of aligator clips so that I can swap back and forth between the caps.  Will report my opinions later.