Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Opinions on Dayton DC28F?

Hello from Australia

I'd be interested to know what people think about the DC28F tweeter; I've only used it in Curt Campbell's Tritrix, but think it sounds OK in that design. However, the DC28 seems to get a bit of a razz from some speaker builders. The sticky dome is certainly a drawback.

I've used the Vifa XT25SC90 in Ron E's C-Notes and the VIFA BC25TG in Paul Carmody's Classix II and Michael Chua's Lark.  They both sound good, with the XT seeming to have clearer highs.  However as my hearing only goes to about 10,000 Hz I may well be missing something.

I was going to make another pair of Classix II, but was wondering whether Dennis Murphy's revised crossover for the BR-1, which uses the DC28, would be worth a try instead.  The Dayton and BC25 are the same price here, the XT a bit more expensive these days.

The Murphy XO has more parts, which I have on hand, but it would be interesting to compare the two designs. I really like the Classix but Mr Murphy's designs are also well regarded.

Any ideas please?

Thank you

Geoff

Tagged:

Comments

• I designed the BR-2s with the DC28F.  I hammered on the x-o enough to come to the conclusion that I just don't like it.
    rjj45
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Thanks John - what is it about the sound, or crossover design, that you don't like?

I've seen varying reviews of the DC28, ranging from 'marginal', to 'amazing for the money', to 'grainy'.  I can tell the difference between it and, say the XT25 and the Morel CAT378 in my main speakers, but I can't hear that much difference with the BC25s. Then again, my hearing isn't what it used to be.

Cheers

Geoff

• There is a driver top end rise and grit that I did not like.  If I damped down the top end the sound was dull and flat. The xt25 has a similar rise that I find annoying but there's no grit which makes it more usable imo. I've heard the Morels and the BC25s and nothing was bad, but nothing made me want to use them either. 

There are a lot of great tweeters out there, but I would not say the DC28F is one of them.  I tend to group the DC28F with a lot of the first generation Dayton tweeters.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I recommend that you try one of the SB Acoustics tweeters.  I like all I have tried.  I used the DC-28 in the D3s and also with a Hivi F6.  It is just ok to me.  
  • howard said:
    I recommend that you try one of the SB Acoustics tweeters.  I like all I have tried.  I used the DC-28 in the D3s and also with a Hivi F6.  It is just ok to me.  

Thanks, I haven't heard any of the SB tweeters, but the SB19 and SB26 look interesting.  The SB19 is a 3/4" dome, so matching it with a budget level 6" woofer might be a challenge; the DC160 would be right out!

I know Ron E paired it with a nice Peerless woofer in his Iron Driver project, but that driver's quite expensive here.

Geoff

• It looks like the verdict is in:

B.O.S.E.: 'Better Off with Something Else'!

Thanks again

Geoff

• Many, many years ago, I purchased 24 of the DC28F's to use in a failed line array project (project abandoned, cabs destroyed,  but still have some of the tweeters left in boxes).   I agree with all of the above comments.  They are no match for the SB19's that Ron used in his Iron Driver project.    The only thing that I would add is that they took on a very strained type sound quality when I tried to push the xover below 2k or so.  I used a pair in the Computer Mini Monitors that I took to Midwest Audiofest in 2013 (did not place).  I truncated the flanges myself, one year before PE came out with the truncated flange version!!!

• Yes- 2k+ for sure. They can have a nasal quality. Curt used it in the Tritrix a lot lower, IIRC.
  • It looks like the verdict is in:

Thanks again

Geoff

You made the right choice, life's too short to waste time trying to polish a turd, save a few more bucks and get a decent tweeter.

I don't know what you have for distribution in Aus, but DX25 it certainly available.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • dcibel said:

It looks like the verdict is in:

Thanks again

Geoff

You made the right choice, life's too short to waste time trying to polish a turd, save a few more bucks and get a decent tweeter.

I don't know what you have for distribution in Aus, but DX25 it certainly available.

Thanks, LSK is the local Dayton, VIFA, Peerless and SB distributor and I get most of my drivers from there. They do a nice-looking two way kit with the SB16PFC and SB26 tweeter.

The Classix still look like the best option for a DC160 build, although I will also have a go at Dave Pellegrene's three way 'Knuckleheads'.

'Polish a turd' is a great expression!

Geoff

• That's a steal from a movie called "Christine".  "You can rub on that all day but you can't polish a turd".
    dcibeljr@macGeoffMillar
  • Was that a film about a car?  I haven't seen it but hope it wasn't as nasty as "Duel" - that freaked me out for years whenever I was driving around trucks....

Geoff

• Yes, early 80's car movie.  Steven King movie I think. You must see it...  way better than "Duel".
  • edited March 2020
    Not sure that is where the saying originated as dad used that phrase way before the movie came out, but Christine is a good movie.

dcibel
  • Looks rather creepy, but we don't have many or any of those Plymouths here, so I won't have to worry about being stalked by one!

Geoff

• Just don't be like Buddy Repperton (you'll understand after you see the movie).
  • Ha! Yeah, the old man regrets that comment👍🏻
    Duel is also frickin awesome!!!
  • If we're talking car films, how about this one: only 8 minutes but pretty cool!

Almost as good as watching Fangio thrash a 250F Maserati around a test track, but I couldn't find the link to that clip.

Back to the original question, thank you all for your comments, they've been very helpful indeed. I'm probably going to try the SB Acoustics  ST26-C0005 in my next build, although that will be some time away.

Geoff