Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New 2 way with Dayton drivers

2»

Comments

• I get frustrated with UPS when you pay next day for a Friday delivery and gets rescheduled to Monday, "Like what happened to Saturday?". <rant over>
  • If I twist together caps and such I think I have enough parts to cobble together a LR2 prototype.  I had hoped to build both that and the LR4 prototype and do some comparisons.  Oh well.
  • I guess this is 3 of us. I ordered 2 pair of Talent cans from WV on 'bay. According to the seller- he sent them, and USPS lost the package. Tracking says 'label was made' was the latest scan. I was issued a refund. I've never had this happen before.
  • No issues here, at work or home but I am anticipating it eventually. 
    I have a signature.
  • Who the hell left the doors open on the idiot barn?
  • 6thplanet said:
    Who the hell left the doors open on the idiot barn?

Got that right!
  • edited June 2020
    Kornbread said:
    What does the step response look like on a time aligned speaker?  Asking because when playing around with the minidsp and using delay corresponding to the distance the drivers are offset, the step response, well, it's just not what I thought it would be.  The tweeter shoots straight up and the woofer takes longer to get it up.  Then they kind of fight with each other.      
    You need a specialized crossover topology if you want that magical step response.  The crossover types we typically use (LR, BW, etc.) don't exhibit that response.  What you are doing with the miniDSP is aligning the phase of the drivers at the crossover point.   While important, it's a lot different than wanting a nice looking step response.  That requires specific phase relationships at all frequencies.

• Kornbread said:
    What does the step response look like on a time aligned speaker?  Asking because when playing around with the minidsp and using delay corresponding to the distance the drivers are offset, the step response, well, it's just not what I thought it would be.  The tweeter shoots straight up and the woofer takes longer to get it up.  Then they kind of fight with each other.      
    You need a specialized crossover topology if you want that magical step response.  The crossover types we typically use (LR, BW, etc.) don't exhibit that response.  What you are doing with the miniDSP is aligning the phase of the drivers at the crossover point.   While important, it's a lot different than wanting a nice looking step response.  That requires specific phase relationships at all frequencies.

Ok, I'm lost again.  I thought setting the tweeter back behind the woofer adjusted their acoustic centers to equal lengths at the listening position.  This isn't done with time delay?  What about Fir filters?   

• I was able to cobble together a prototype crossover that is as close as I can get to perfect LR2 acoustic slopes.  My Z offset between the tweeter and woofer is zero (confirmed with measurements).  I'm too busy today to listen to the project.  I'll report back when I have a good listen.
  • I've been listening to these now for a few days.  I ended up liking the LR4 xo at 2000 the most.  These have very good midrange clarity and overall balance.  Surprised how much I still like the RS28A tweeters.   It's a shame the RST28's don't sound the same. 

But I have to say that I've been very spoiled lately with my larger hybrid 3 ways that have 8" or 10" woofers.  So these speakers sound like small two ways in a box to me.   The OB mid 3 ways have me hooked right now  :3
    jholtzani_101squamishdrocrjj45
  • edited June 2020
    I made a small change to the tweeter padding resistor and I've been listening to these a lot  lately.  I don't know if the soft parts of the RS150P have loosened up or what but they are really starting to sound good to me.  I think it's time to build the final xo's.  These won't be my featured project at Indy or Iowa (I have something much bigger cooking) but will bring them for Friday/Saturday night listening.  I think I like these new improved RS150P drivers better than the originals I used in the Jonquils.
  • Did you have to address any issues above 2k with the rs150p?  I've noticed a harshness, not bad at all, but noticeable after many hours of listening.  The tweeter rolloff is decent and the fs taken care of, just have this bit of hash one certain songs.  It could just be the true recording coming out, idk.
  • Yes I did.  I added a cap across the LP inductor to notch out that cone break up.  I wasn't sure during simulation whether it would be needed or not because that peak was down -25 dB without it.  But after some listening I added the cap and completely nuked it to -65 dB.  It was audible.