Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Got him/her

Borrowed the neighbor lady my live trap. The critter had dug a home under her shed. Took awhile, used peanut butter and cantaloupe. Never had seen one in person .

joeybutts

Comments

• We had one a couple summers ago. He never bothered anything, at least not in our yard. It was a riot watching him devour dandelions.

• A Woodchuck? They're EVERYWHERE around here. Oh- and yes, you can eat them. I'm not joking.

• Yes sir, wood chuck . I didnt know they were dandelion eaters !! Noted if another one comes around . Come to think of it , The other neighbors to the east had a shit ton of those in their yard , that would make sense .

• Are you currently building speakers with solid wood - I'm sure a wood chuck can smell fresh sawdust from 20 miles away. The glue in MDF might attract them less. (I am joking)

• We have several resident around one of my facilities - but none I ever saw around the old homestead.

The new homestead is home to quite a bit of wildlife - many different birds, frogs, bugs, and glory be to glory - a real live mink.

Billet
    I have a signature.
  • That little guy (or gal) would be welcome to live under my shed.

• I just watched a video on how to cook and eat a woodchuck...all of it. Skins' brains full stomach everything. I would eat a woodchuck but not like that. Glad I am an apex predator and can choose what I eat. After that video, I think I'm going to go eat some vegetables...

• @kenrhodes said:
    I just watched a video on how to cook and eat a woodchuck...all of it. Skins' brains full stomach everything. I would eat a woodchuck but not like that. Glad I am an apex predator and can choose what I eat. After that video, I think I'm going to go eat some vegetables...

Oh those Canadians , not sure Id be willing to eat one , maybe if I was in a pinch.

• Not really any different than rabbit, beaver (flat-tailed dam building types), or squirrel. Still a large format vegetarian rodent. Now- I draw the line at animals that scavenge and ones that are known to carry certain diseases. No 'coon, opossum, rats, mice- you get the picture.

So- how many names do woodchucks have?
    whistlepig
    groundhog
    woodchuck
    marmot

I knew all of the above, but there are apparently more...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog

• I would try it. I have had tacos outside a metro station in Mexico city, so I guess I'm ready for almost anything...

• I just watched the video, grasshoppers are good. Crickets not that good, well the consistency anyway.

• I have a signature.
  • "Oh the crunchy cream-filled kind"

• Not to mention Monty Python's box of chocolates with "Crunchy Frog"!

In Oz, the only pest animal we can eat is rabbit: cats, foxes, wild horses and camels aren't particularly attractive menu items and cane toads are poisonous!

Geoff

• edited August 2020

Camel is delicious, and I've heard horse is outstanding.

I have a signature.