Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iowa storm damage.

2»

Comments

• @Tom_S said:

@GeoffMillar said:
    Thank you for this news: although we live in Melbourne, Oz, we have great-nephews in Iowa City and will try to call them to check they're OK.

Geoff

Don't know if you contacted them yet, but I hear Iowa City had very little damage. Lots of people here in town drove down there to get real food and supplies this week. Looks like Coralville is now the closest bank branch for me that's actually open.

Thanks Tom

Geoff

• We have power again. What a treat to switch a switch and have something happen.

This is video from Huxley about 12 miles south of us.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ap3g2BeMKLU

Ron

• @Ron_E said:
    We have power again. What a treat to switch a switch and have something happen.

Ron

The one thing that video DOESN'T convey is just how LONG that mayhem lasted. Whoever shot that should have gotten the willies when they saw the pictures of 2x4s driven through walls.

• @Turn2 said:

@Ron_E said:
    We have power again. What a treat to switch a switch and have something happen.

Ron

The one thing that video DOESN'T convey is just how LONG that mayhem lasted. Whoever shot that should have gotten the willies when they saw the pictures of 2x4s driven through walls.

This picture was shared by my mom's care facility.

Ron

JasonPjr@macTurn2
  • Queue "Riding the Storm Out".

Ron_E
  • @Turn2 said:
    Queue "Riding the Storm Out".

That was crazy!

• I can't even imagine what I would do in that situation. It was scary enough hunkered down in the basement.

Things are slowly getting better for most in our neighborhood. They got the tree off the house on Sunday - that was interesting! We had power restored on Monday afternoon, so we had AC and a washer & dryer again and I was fianlly able to shut down that noisy generator droning away in the back yard. Cell service is a little better and the city crews are slowly clearing all the logs & branches. So, full steam ahead - gotta tarp that roof today!

• can you post the interim fix for the roof, till you get it repaired or redone?

• I will! My nephew will probably have to help me. He had a siding business until last year and has the supplies and experience to do it right.

ani_101
  • I put a short video shot from our basement window up on Google drive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMwYZYvp9qZrukG-8Xr60ECkwFN3IJir/view?usp=sharing

It sounds like we had 80+ MPH winds in Ames.

This link has some interesting maps and satellite views. https://weather.gov/dmx/2020derecho

Ron

Turn2
  • That was quite the storm. In the Quad Cities, we had a recorded peak wind of 86 mph. The crazy thing was how long the high winds lasted. It seemed like almost an hour. There was a lot of tree damage (you could hear the crackle of the trees splitting during the storm along with a steady, almost tornado-like roar) but not too much building damage around here.

We were without power for only about 30 hours. We were just getting ready to take our chest freezer over to the in-laws, who still had power, when the power came back on. Many had it a lot worse.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Scott - glad you chimed in. I heard reports of damage over there from a few people, buy others said it wasn't too bad. We have an office in Moline, but it doesn't sound like any of our employees there had any significant damage.

• My nephew stopped yesterday morning. He found a few spots where the roof had been pierced by branches. A little caulk should keep the rain from seeping in for a little while.

• I guess where the tarp dips is a huge hole? For so much wind, I don't see many shingles standing up or broken off. Are those large trees across the street leaning?

• Wow guys , sorry for all the damage !!! Wow but glad everyone is safe!! YIKES!!!!!!!

• Looks good, hopefully you get a proper roof soon.

How is the tarp secured to the roof?

• He had special nails with plastic disks on them - must be something he uses for siding. We had a little rain on Saturday and no leaks so far. The adjuster & roofing guy will be here this morning so we'll see what they say.

• Wow the storm damage is impressive, very much like what you get from a tornado, but on a more massive scale. I was in a similar storm in Illinois, wide spread tree and power line damage, but not much else. We lost power for about 10 days. We had to move out, and while we were gone the refrig defrosted and leaked water all over the floor and ruined it. Insurance was not happy because that floor flowed through much of the house and had to be completely replaced. They cancelled us after that. I also went through an F5 tornado when I was in college. It was a mile wide and about 17 miles long total destruction, vehicles up in trees, etc; but that still isn't on the scale of this monster.
    Glad you are all OK that went through it.