Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Wima caps

What's everyone's take on Wima caps in a crossover? Been rolling a few caps in the tube pre and IMO, the Jantzen Superior sounds more pleasing than the Audiophiler mkp, Dayton, or Wima caps but the Wima mks4 wasn't bad at all. Like it almost as much as the Jantzen. Anyhow, the stockpile of crossover parts is getting low, Mouser customer service has been great, and their prices on Wima caps beats ebay's price on the Audiophiler offerings. Even threw some Panasonic mpet in the bag.

Comments

• I shoe-horned a couple of the J Superior's into my single stage pre as well
    You should check out Russian PIO's as well

ani_101JasonP4thtry
  • I have always liked WIMA caps, and have used them in xovers a couple times. Very well made, and good sonics. They are also reliable and used in MANY pieces of gear. They are made with a separate metallization layer in addition to the film layer, so construction is a bit different than most caps.

• edited August 2020

@tajanes said:
    I shoe-horned a couple of the J Superior's into my single stage pre as well
    You should check out Russian PIO's as well

That's a really nice looking pre and it's sitting on top of what looks like a pre-Klipsch Acurus. Gives me some ideas on my next tube build. Your design?
    Been wanting to try some of the Russian pio but those things are huge. No way will a couple of those large bricks fit inside my preamp.
    Good to know Ben. Mouser offers a discount for multiples, so price wise they are considerably cheaper than the cheap red Audiophiler caps off ebay. If they sound ok they may find a permanent place in the parts bin.
    I'm curious about the Panasonic ecq caps and if I'll be able to hear a difference with them.

• Also wonder if how they are being used makes a difference in their character. In the tube pre they are used as a blocking cap and see some fairly high voltages where I'd think they would only see a tiny portion of those voltages in a crossover.

• Kornbread,
    I got the board (and advice) from Roy at 'tubes 4 hifi' so they get the credit
    http://www.tubes4hifi.com/home.html

They offer the PIO's as an option in their amps.

I built the box and volume knob to ~match my speakers. The top was made from a PE metal pro speaker grill, put a copper separator btwn board and toroidal trans, and the toggle is to adjust the heater filament just a bit…

One add’l pic from top (you can see one stage of the pre-board is not used- blue cap on tube sockets), and as such its more of a tube buffer. The voltage from my source is sufficient to drive the amp (buffer for the mid/tws).

And yes, I’ve got a pair of acurus 150’s to biamp my speakers (old, but solid)

• Cool looking volume control with extension shaft and transformer shielding. Nice.