Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

High end monitor happening.

Comments

• I have no doubt in your skilz, JR. I bet these will be great!

• Looking good๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Finish coat applied. Not my best work, but zero ghosting (so far). I will reinspect next March and determine if I block them smooth, and proceed to painting them.

squamishdrocGowa4thtryThumperTomkennyk
    I have a signature.
  • If they weren't a high end build, that would be good enough. Looks great.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Some of the most expensive and best performing monitors have a similar understated finish.

If I paint them, it will be a satin black.

rjj45kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Will you be designing and voicing these for out in the room stand mount (full BSC) or something different?

• I'll go with full BSC, the install location is a few feet from the nearest boundaries. I can eq shit in from there if necessary.

PWRRYDkennyk
    I have a signature.
  • I hope to be measuring by Wednesday.

GowadcibelR-Carpentersquamishdroc6thplanet4thtryS7910kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • I have a signature.
  • What's on the port tubes JR? A dampener of sorts?

• Acoust-X, from the fine Floridians that gave us Duratex.

I have a signature.
  • Aight, ready to measure. I've built my last speaker with a Jasper jig incidentally. I did better with a diy jig, so don't give me any shit.

I've also been drinking, so I'm taking this moment to record the fact the zippy cord with tape is the woofer.

jhollandersquamishdrocrjj45DanP4thtryS7910ThumperTommjgeorgekennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Ahh...the dreaded Jasper gap! It pisses me off too. Why they don't make a metric version is beyond me.

rjj45
  • I'll give you shit for not flushing the port in. ๐Ÿ˜›

jr@macjoeybuttsrjj45PWRRYDScottSkennyk
  • @6thplanet said:
    I'll give you shit for not flushing the port in. ๐Ÿ˜›

But the port has a waveguide, so rear baffle effects are minimized???

6thplanet4thtry
  • I'm pretty sure those hideous input terminals are assing the tuning frequency all up. Nice job, JR, just when I thought you had it together. ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ

• What's wrong with the terminals?

I have a signature.
  • Yeah, and I'll bet none of his hardware has been cryogenically treated either. Jeez...and I thought this was supposed to be a "high-end" build.

Now where'd I leave my green Sharpie??

• I'll be sure to leave them in the garage for the month of January - that will be close to cryo treatment in this part of the world.

I have a signature.
  • @Tom_S said:
    Yeah, and I'll bet none of his hardware has been cryogenically treated either. Jeez...and I thought this was supposed to be a "high-end" build.

Now where'd I leave my green Sharpie??

Malboni process, dude. Open up the Universe of sound with a sharpie. How can we monetize this though? Maybe a proprietary pattern of marks on the back side of the cone. If the customer opens the box, it's a $50,000 NDA violation. Hmm.. now just got to find a lawyer.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • At least the terminals are high enough to allow the use of cable risers.

rjj45PWRRYDWolf
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • @Tom_S said:
    Ahh...the dreaded Jasper gap! It pisses me off too. Why they don't make a metric version is beyond me.

If you use a 9/32 router bit, that will get you 32th increments with the Jasper jig.

rjj45
  • Man, moving can really cock things up! Hauled this thing downstairs, go to fire up the measurement rig. Here is a list of things I had to troubleshoot:

1. Monitor did not work. I do not know why. I used one off of the desk in the downstairs bedroom.
    2. Mouse did not work. First step I took was putting a battery in it, as my dumbass did not put one in there previously. That did not work. After some thinking, I realized it was probably the mouse that went with a different keyboard - said keyboard damaged during move and I must have gotten a few things switched around. So, grabbed the mouse off of the same desk.
    3. Microphone no worky. The phantom power switch on the mixer had been switched.
    4. Microphone clippy at even low volumes. The input gain was somehow maxed out. What the hell.

OK, so I was finally able to take some measurements, so... Here are some measurements.

Up first, woofer in-box and distortion. Take the distortion measurements with normal grain of salt, especially the tweeter. I think the tweeter is accurate enough, but to get a usable sweep on the woofer I had to set the amp to X. At X, the tweeter fucking screamed and clipped the mic. It is insanely sensitive relative to the poor little Motus.

Anyways, I digress.

Drivers in-box:

Woofer impedance:

Tweeter impedance:

Woofer distortion:

Tweeter distortion:

Tweeter horz:

Some moderate bunching around the 2.8K range but otherwise looks usable. The recessed ribbon seems to help somewhat with diffraction, but it is still present. I will keep that region in mind in my design work.

I am not sure what happened on the tuning, I may have over-filled the cabinet. I'll look into a little closer. During the sweeps, it definitely was outputting meaningful volume on the bottom end so...

For shits and giggles, here is a quick crossover I worked up in XSim. This is not something I would necessarily build, I just wanted to see what could potentially happen.

This was attained using a traditional crossover topology. The amount of series resistance needs to match this tweeter to the woofer is outstanding!

Like I said, I may not necessarily approach it this way, though. I am going to dick around with a shelving filter on the tweeter and see if I can get something cool doing that.

Anyways, finally into the fun stuff!

squamishdroc4thtrykennyk
    I have a signature.
  • For example, something like this:

My only real concern there is I do not know what is happening above 20K. I likely won't do this thing, either. I just wanted to see what happens with a shelving filter on this and if impedance stays safe above 20K I don't see any reason this couldn't be done.

I'll slot some time to haul components out and start playing for real, maybe tomorrow.

I did use a 20uF cap in series with the tweeter, incidentally.

GowaR-Carpentersquamishdroc6thplanet4thtryS7910kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Man oh man, that should be one super low distortion design! High-end indeed.

• I like how you trimmed the woofer. :+1: 0.27mfd is a nice touch.
    JR, would you want to try second order on the tweeter and bottomless notch around 1200hz?

kennyk
  • I will try that, Roman.

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    What's wrong with the terminals?

Really? They are clearly blocking the bilateral wavefront from the axial quadrant of the port, duh.

• edited November 2020

@6thplanet said:

@jr@mac said:
    What's wrong with the terminals?

Really? They are clearly blocking the bilateral wavefront from the axial quadrant of the port, duh.

That wave discontinuity can be totally cleared with the use of wine infused hardwood cable lifters.
    Sourced from only naturally dead trees during a full moon, of course.

"Dude, I got these interconnects for only $1500 a foot, what a bargain!"

6thplanet
  • Ahhh... I was gonna say, they cost all of $7/pr and work just fine.

Spent quite a bit of time playing with crossovers today. I may or may not have something close, hard to tell sometimes. Currently I have some listening fatigue. These drivers are definitely low distortion, the Motus can really bring it when asked to. The low tuning helps protect it from over-excursion. The Viawave is, I think, an solid upgrade over the 850 I used in the past. I really think I should have did some facets or larger roundovers, though.

Anyways, couple weeks here and there I should have some kind of idea of how the crossover is going to look. The Viawave, even considering the basically flat impedance, is not super easy to use. All things considered, it will definitely be worth it.

Time for a beer.

I have a signature.