Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Heavy Duty Wooden Terminal Cup (with flush, 45 degree angle, binding posts)

I decided to build a pair of wooden, 45 degree angle, flush mount input terminal cups. I wanted something a little more durable than the inexpensive thin plastic types currently available.

Design goals & Specs:

1) Low cost.
2) Minimal effort.
3) Drop proof and durable, constructed of 1.5" thick particle board.
4) Non-resonant, must pass the DIY knuckle rap test.
5) Must accept single or dual banana jacks, spade lugs, or bare wires.
6) Must allow good finger clearance (no scraping of the knuckles during hook-ups)
7) Small mounting hole (3.125 x 2.75" rectangular) with 3/8" radius round-overs.
8) Mounting via yellow glue from the inside of the cabinet.
9) Minimal reduction of internal cabinet volume (approximately 30 cu. in. or 1/2 liter).

Here is the basic dimensional drawing:

Only 5 small boards needed:

The glue-up:

Back view:

Drilling template:

Dual banana jacks installed after drilling:

Wires coming out the back side:

Hole cut & then rounded with 3/8" radius round-over bit to match the cup dimensions:

Cup glued in place from the rear with custom clamping arrangement:

Done:

ani_101Silver1omojr@macWolfjhollandersquamishdrocrjj45dynamo

Comments

• Bill, you need to stop this shit. I'm sweating over drilling four 1/4" holes in my new speaks for binding posts and here you just casually rip out something like this. I envy not only your energy but your creativity.

4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • It does add more of a nice finished appeal that just slapping some binding posts on its butt.

• Here I was thinking basically a 'board with jacks', and Bill goes and makes it a 45* angle....

• @jr@mac said:
    Bill, you need to stop this shit. I'm sweating over drilling four 1/4" holes in my new speaks for binding posts and here you just casually rip out something like this. I envy not only your energy but your creativity.

Me too!
    I finally made an 1/4 inch aluminum drilling template for binding posts and shit I now am able to line the suckers up correctly.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Yeah I wish I had just half your creativity Bill!

• Thanks everyone! Glad you like it. I took a few more pics showing the clearance with dual bananas, spade lugs, and bare wire hookups. Putting the posts at 45 degrees helps quite a bit for bare wire or spade lugs.

Spade lugs:

Dual banana plugs. Side profile shows very good clearance:

Bare wire connection (14 ga OFC wire used):