Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Best Tweeter

2»

Comments

• I have a set of 9700 in the Destinations build I did, and those are very nice tweeters!!

• @Wolf said:
    I have a set of 9700 in the Destinations build I did, and those are very nice tweeters!!

The FS is 500 but the tech note says operating freq is 2.5k to 20k on madisound page? It can't go lower with the 500hz FS?

• I xovered the 9700 at 1.8k without much trouble at all.

• Best is such an odd thing to consider, because there are no perfect drivers. I like the SB26ADC a lot, but my current build is using the Seas 27TFFC and I have to say, what a stunning tweeter. Impressive clean output capability, excellent detail. It doesn't match the transparency of the AMT's I've heard, but it makes up for that in the ruler flat response IMO. I'd put it near or at the top of my "best tweeters" list.

rjj45
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I'm a big fan of the old 27TDFC as well, still high value but often overlooked due to age and a lot of competition at the $50 price point. Unfortunately Seas haven't made a new mid-shelf tweeter in years.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @Gowa said:
    I would like opinions on what you would consider the best tweeter under $150 and why. Off axis performance is always important to me and needs to cross easily at 2kHz.

I will concur with others on the Wavecor TW030WA11. I heard that in Pete Schumacher's designs with the Anarchy woofer crossed lower than 2k and they did very well. I do like the Peerless DA Corundum tweeters as a value option that can cross low with nice resolution. Which aspect of off axis performance most important to you? Is it more about directivity match at the crossover point or as wide as possible overall?

It is also worthy of note that the Aurum Cantus AST2560 AMT can be had in that price range at PE, as can the lowest cost Transducer Lab options (almost) at Meniscus.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I prefer a silk dome. TL doesn't have silk domes.> @JasonP said:

Best is such an odd thing to consider, because there are no perfect drivers. I like the SB26ADC a lot, but my current build is using the Seas 27TFFC and I have to say, what a stunning tweeter. Impressive clean output capability, excellent detail. It doesn't match the transparency of the AMT's I've heard, but it makes up for that in the ruler flat response IMO. I'd put it near or at the top of my "best tweeters" list.

I've used the Seas 27TFFC in the past with zero complaints except for the plastic faceplate. It is a really nice sounding tweeter.

• I've got a 27TFFC chucked up in a Visaton waveguide. Maybe I'll use it in the Octozaengers.

kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • I considered recommending the AST 2560 but I think that's the same one that Jim and Curt used in the Bordeaux where AC changed the roll off. I did like the original version.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    I considered recommending the AST 2560 but I think that's the same one that Jim and Curt used in the Bordeaux where AC changed the roll off. I did like the original version.

What changed? This was on my list... Based on the Bordeaux

• Newer units start rolling off earlier, so it won't reach as low. There is a Bordeaux thread at HTguide with all of the bits about less than stellar newer results, and the xover that fixes the response with the newer tweeter.

• I remember Jim talking about that in Iowa. He seemed really bummed.

• edited November 2020

Or you could just get an Airborne 5002 and skip the whole mess. Low distortion, flat FR, reasonable price.
    But you can't cross it low, about 3k is all I'd try.

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/airborne-rt-5002/

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Yeah- the 5002 is a gem! You have to have enough padding to flatten it a bit as it does peak in the middle, and yeah- 3.4kHz is about as low as I could get it to go.

• edited November 2020

Ok, glad this thread happened, I was looking the AST2560 for 2k, but that's not going to work now. Would definitely need a mid with the airborne...

• The big Beston tweeters are now priced at $150 - less than I bought my pair for on sale last year. They should do 1500 with a little attention to detail. The horn loading allows for a lot of mitigation of baffle effects, as well. I know the smaller ones do not measure all that great on paper, but the implementations I have heard are all nice.

I have a signature.
  • The best in looks good. JR do you any of your own measurements or impressions? Any opinion of the big beston is very hard to come by. I do have the small round ribbon and the dipole one, but haven't used them

• No, have not measured them yet. Won't be for awhile, either.

I have a signature.
  • @jhollander said:
    I considered recommending the AST 2560 but I think that's the same one that Jim and Curt used in the Bordeaux where AC changed the roll off. I did like the original version.

You're correct John. The original AST2560 version had the ability to cross low and sound fantastic, IMHO. The new production version has a different FR which changes the crossover ability somewhat and I've not heard it with the new crossover in the Bordeaux so no recommendation at this point.

Jim

• @jr@mac said:
    No, have not measured them yet. Won't be for awhile, either.

What are you planning to use them with?

• I have no idea - part of me wants to utilize the ~100db sensitivity as much as possible so a 8" TWW is an option - the quad of 8" carbon fiber Rival woofers below that bigass tweeter would be pretty high output, especially in a very large vented enclosure. Maybe do a sealed TWW and hand off around 60Hz to the quad of 10" XXLS/Scan-Speak buyout subs I have.

I don't know, it will be a while.

I have a signature.
  • Is the horn for the Beston RT004A-D aluminum or plastic? Any distortion measurements anywhere? It looks like it might be a good match for my PTT6.5s if distortion is low enough.

ani_101
  • I believe it to be plastic, I can go downstairs and check at some point.

I am not aware of any 3rd party measurements.

I have a signature.
  • edited November 2020

Question - since it's a very high sensitivity, and needs to be padded down a lot, would that reduce distortion, as compared to the woofer, a lot less power will be going to the tweeter for the comparable SPL? We are looking at padding down from 102 to about 82-84 depending on BSC.

• After a bit of research, I'm pretty sure it's plastic. Here's a review of the RT002:
    https://audioxpress.com/article/Test-Bench-Beston-Technology-RT002A-Ribbon-Tweeter

Doesn't look very encouraging.

• Yeah, but having heard the Beston stuff a few times, I take those measurements with a grain of salt any more.

Billet
    I have a signature.
  • It's amazing how good the Bestons sound, because they are NOT low HD devices. My Stances as an example are not a flat measuring design, nor are they particularly low HD, but they do music right in a lot of different ways.

Billet
  • I currently have a set of the Beston headphones in my possession for review and trial at the next InDIYana event. Except for the bass being light, they are really good sounding for the supposed $125 entry fee.