Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Soundeasy Forum and Wiki

With Bohdan's (creator of SE) permission I have built a Wiki and Forum for the software.

We are still working on finalizing setup, but please feel free to sign up and contribute.

https://soundeasy.chadgray.info/

Spread the word... :)

Thanks!
Chad

Tagged:

Comments

• This is great news. :) I'm a registered user of Soundeasy (ver 20), but have been stuck in 1st gear for some time now. I use OmniMic and DATS V2 for measurements and I'd like to learn how to bring my raw in box measurements into Soundeasy, extract minimum phase, and then design a complete xover in Soundeasy. I look forward to joining the new forum and asking questions.

Archer60x
  • Hopefully we can get some spark back into Soundeasy!

• Same situation as Bill. I purchased SoundEasy 5-6 years ago and was able to make basic measurements along with adding tails and performing the hilbert transform. But after that the infamous UI wore me down and I gave up. I would really like to see articles/tips on what I consider SE's two strongest features: the crossover optimizer and the ability to simulate passive crossovers using a multi-channel capable sound card.

• SE is all I use. Then it works, it's excellent.
    I remember asking Bohdan if there's a zoom function in crossover CAD and he told me to get a bigger monitor.
    :#

Silver1omojhollanderkenrhodes4thtryJasonP
  • John Kreskovsky made a design guide for SoundEasy which I found to be most helpful for learning how to use SE. He made it public domain some years ago. This link will take you to a copy on my Google drive. It's a Window's help file which I can open in Windows 10. If you put it in the SE directory it will open when you select help in SE. It was written for an older version of SE but is still useful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GrnMTy01gUZPG3uhMWl9Aku1UjD3hYsJ/view?usp=sharing

Chad, you might want to put it on the new web site.

Ron

• @R-Carpenter said:
    I remember asking Bohdan if there's a zoom function in crossover CAD and he told me to get a bigger monitor.
    :#

That sentiment reminds me of the live sound mixing software I bought into years ago - Software Audio Console. It had features not seen at the time, ran on almost any multi-core Pentium PC, and it sounded amazing. Elton John's monitor mixer was using it at one point. But it quickly became outdated because the developer was either too busy, lazy, or just didn't know how to expand the feature set to satisfy customer requests. Needless to say, almost nobody uses it now and I'm not sure the company still exists.

R-Carpenter
  • I used SAC for awhile.

I have a signature.
  • Holy crap JR - I'm amazed someone I actually know has used it!

jr@macGowa
  • edited December 2020

Oh - I still have 2 Yamaha ProMix 01 consoles out in the garage from that rig.

Sorry for the Left turn in this thread.... :#

• SE does some things very well, some things are functional but clunky, some things overly convoluted and the user interface is atrocious. Every new version fixes some bugs and then introduces some more, so any new feature introduced may be fully functional in the following version. Clearly software developed without any debug tools and Bohdan hasn't learned any new tricks in the past 20 years. It was a push to get him to even test the software on Windows 10 some years back.

The measurement system is SoundEasy's strongest feature. It is a well functioning 2-channel measurement system, which unfortunately means Omnimic and other USB solutions are useless for SE measurements. You can import Omnimic measurements or any FRD and ZMA data for that matter, but in doing so you are missing the best parts that SoundEasy has to offer. That's not to say that you can't use SE for design work with measurements from a USB mic, but it doesn't have built in features for determining relative offsets like you will find in VituixCAD or WinPCD.

Recently I have been introduced to VituixCAD, and it is really great. Like SE, it is geared towards use of 2-channel measurements, with tutorials available for REW and ARTA for taking good measurement data. With Omnimic measurements, the power and directivity data will lack some accuracy, but the "on-axis" design work that most people do is always there. If all you are looking for is a great crossover design tool with measurements taken elsewhere, I would certainly recommend VituixCAD over SoundEasy. For my next design I will be taking measurements with SE and doing all design work with VituixCAD.

Silver1omoR-Carpenter4thtry
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • My friend called it Drowned Easy.

• @Tom_S said:
    Holy crap JR - I'm amazed someone I actually know has used it!

Yeah, we bought it when it was quite new - 2004 maybe? Been a lot of beers and other mind/mood altering events since. It worked fine on good hardware, just seems it never got past alpha state. It def let me get hooked on digital mixing, though.

I have a signature.
  • @dcibel said:
    SE does some things very well, some things are functional but clunky, some things overly convoluted and the user interface is atrocious. Every new version fixes some bugs and then introduces some more, so any new feature introduced may be fully functional in the following version. Clearly software developed without any debug tools and Bohdan hasn't learned any new tricks in the past 20 years. It was a push to get him to even test the software on Windows 10 some years back.

The measurement system is SoundEasy's strongest feature. It is a well functioning 2-channel measurement system, which unfortunately means Omnimic and other USB solutions are useless for SE measurements. You can import Omnimic measurements or any FRD and ZMA data for that matter, but in doing so you are missing the best parts that SoundEasy has to offer. That's not to say that you can't use SE for design work with measurements from a USB mic, but it doesn't have built in features for determining relative offsets like you will find in VituixCAD or WinPCD.

Recently I have been introduced to VituixCAD, and it is really great. Like SE, it is geared towards use of 2-channel measurements, with tutorials available for REW and ARTA for taking good measurement data. With Omnimic measurements, the power and directivity data will lack some accuracy, but the "on-axis" design work that most people do is always there. If all you are looking for is a great crossover design tool with measurements taken elsewhere, I would certainly recommend VituixCAD over SoundEasy. For my next design I will be taking measurements with SE and doing all design work with VituixCAD.

Thanks dcibel. Very good comparison. I think I am beginning to understand some of the problems that I have been having.

• @4thtry I've spent a lot of time with SE so let me know if there's anything specific I can help you with.

4thtry
  • dcibel -

How would you compare the crossover optimizers in SE and VituixCAD? For a long time SE was one of the few programs that had an optimizer, but I think VituixCAD has one too.

• The VituixCAD optimizer has very recently been expanded to include textbook filter targets as well as using any frequency response file as an optimizer target which is just great. Previously the optimizer would only optimize for overall response at a specific slope, so make sure you keep up to date with the latest version.

SoundEasy on the other hand can optimize to any specific slope, with addition of any bumps or dips that you like as well under the "ripple" selections. With this in mind the results can be quite similar. The "textbook" filter roll-off for optimizer target has always been there, and both software allow to you specify which specific components to include in the optimization.

Where I believe VituixCAD has the advantage is when complete polar data is loaded for accurate depiction of power response and directivity index. This requires use of a 2-channel measurement for accuracy, but it provides a great advantage of allowing for optimizing by complete power response rather than just a single axis. Vituix also can use a "listening window" as the optimizer target rather than looking at a single axis as well which may provide a better overall result than using a single axis response for a target.