Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

HP Pavilion laptop?

2»

Comments

• Enclosure is not required. The cable looks like it would work.

This photo is of my cables, usb-c and usb 3.0. these work on both 3.5" Platter drives, 2.5" platter and 2.5" SSD. Yours is most probably going to be 2.5" platter.

There's different connector for nvme drives, you new laptop might have a nvme drive or it might be soldered on.

• When boy gets home we're headed to wallyworld.

rjj45
  • That SSD/cable combo is actually a good deal. That's the same price as just the drive on Amazon. You won't even need any software. It should just show up as an external USB drive on your new laptop and you can just copy & paste files.

• Looks like the link above should be able to work for you. You connect it to an external USB port, install the Acronis true image software (but it might not install in safe mode), and clone your internal hard drive to the external new SSD drive.
    If the Acronis disk image somehow fails to work, you should be able to just copy your important files from the internal laptop drive to the external SSD drive.

Here is a pretty simple guide. Some of the steps will not be necessary for you.
    https://www.wikihow.com/Recover-Data-from-the-Hard-Drive-of-a-Dead-Laptop

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • That wally thing looks like a great deal, not only you get the cable and software, but you also get 500gb drive.

Pull out your drive, use the cable to copy your data, drop in the new drive in the old laptop, and your old laptop would still work. The only issue is the windows license, if you can clone your old drive to the new drive then windows would work, else linux will give you a spare laptop. Or if your old drive can limp around, try creating a windows startup disk and try setting up your license that way. Both are hair pulling frustrating tasks...

Getting your important data out should be straight forward. Pull your drive out, attach cable, plug into your new laptop, go to your files or explorer, it will show up as a usb drive, copy your files to your new laptop, and then back them up to the cloud, google, Dropbox or onedrive whatever you want to setup. Also buy some 32 gb usb sticks from wally, just to keep a physical backup of important docs, you can get bigger usb sticks too...

rjj45
  • Boy had a cable. It's the hard drive. It starts downloading normal speed but as it runs it gets slower and slower until it comes to an almost complete stop. He said it's too noisy. Someone mention putting the drive in the frig? It's warm to the touch.

• Yep, stick in freezer for an hour.

I have a signature.
  • edited December 2020

Even a dog's butt sees sunshine once in a while.

Looks like I got the work documents, pictures, builds, and most of the important stuff.
    Boy thinks the 0 sector is bad and that's what all the noise was about as it's now much quieter and transferring data at a normal rate. Boy agrees about making an image (acronis true image) of the old hd, put that on a new replacement hd for the old laptop, and I'll have another functioning laptop.

I think you guys and boy helped me out immensely.

Thanks a metric ton guys. You're the best.

ani_101rjj45Turn2
  • Good to hear! Did you have to put the drive in the freezer?

• I'm happier than a two peckered billy goat.
    Nope. No freezer. It took ~45 minutes to initially load but after that it quietened down and transfer speed of the data to the new laptop was pretty much normal. Boy says to get a cable and a couple $25 generic 2.5 laptop hd, one for the old laptop and another to use as an external/backup for the new computer.

• that is good advise. if possible get the SSD, if cost is not too high. much faster and doesn't have movable parts to fail. SSDs also fail, but not as much as the platters

• Yes SSD is much better, and only a little more expensive than a platter HD

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I'm surprised they still sell small to med sized mechanical drives these days. There must be some benefit they offer vs. a SSD.

• @Tom_S said:
    I'm surprised they still sell small to med sized mechanical drives these days. There must be some benefit they offer vs. a SSD.

Yeah, only for another year or two, since the price of silicon keeps coming down (as expected with the debut of SSDs) - sone SSDs will be cheaper than spinning platters.

• In 2007, I was laid off from a company that manufactured hard drive read/write head suspension parts. It was part of a larger plan to move manufacturing to Thailand, of course - but even then solid state was the death knell of platter tech and here we are.

I am pretty sure as long as capacity of platters continues to maintain a 5x (give or take) capacity advantage at a price point, they are going nowhere - at least at enterprise level.

You can get a Toshiba 8TB for $175 at Newegg right now, a Sabrent 8TB nvme drive is $1300. Traditional SSD will cost close to $1000 to hit 8TB, as well - and generally require several drives installed.

The war is far from over, especially with the proliferation of affordable cloud storage options out there. Network latency and speeds generally eliminate speed advantages of solid state, so even the speed component may not be a factor for Amazon, Google, MS, Box, Dropbox etc. Cost per petabyte is where it's at - and those five listed companies probably purchase more storage than the rest of the world combined.

That being said, I may splurge next year sometime and do a proper NAS with all SSD drives and install a gigabit LAN in my home. In that particular instance, the speeds of the drive will be a factor.

ani_101rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Go 10gb if it is a new install.

• @Silver1omo said:
    Go 10gb if it is a new install.

10GB? maybe you meant something else

• No, that is a LAN thing now. My house is wired with Cat5, though. Not sure it will support 10gb.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • I mean cat5e. Theoretically 1gb ready.

I have a signature.
  • Short runs might be good enough.
    Nowadays you can get some 2.5, 5 and/or 10GB switches that are not that expensive.
    Most new motherboards come with 2.5GB NICs.
    Perhaps to the NAS and a workstation use 2.5 or above and 1 for the rest.

• But rerunning cables can get expensive and annoying.

• I don't know when I'll wire my house, but that's also the plan...

• But before that I need to setup a wifi mesh....

• I wired our house with Cat5 when it was built 21 years ago. I can move large video files at 1Gb speeds which is fast enough for me.

I bought my first SSD with adapter in February 2009 for $257. I think it was 40 Gb and a bought second one a month later so I could run a raid array and get double the speed. I still have a working 60 Gb OCZ SSD I bought in 2011.

Ron

• It's pretty astounding how far computers have come. I remember upgrading my DX4-100 Acer desktop with a 240 or 320mb HDD around the time Win 95 was released. I hate to think what I paid for that drive, but it sure was a big leap from the 40 or 80mb that came in the machine. I was not nearly quite the early adopter of SSDs as you were Ron. Heck, we ran pairs of 2 Tb 7200 rpm platters in Raid 0 for media drives at work up until just a few years ago.