Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Pics of my newest project - KT88 SET Amp

13»

Comments

• How is this project coming along sir ? If I missed something , I apologise in advance
  • I've been listing to it for a couple weeks.  It sounds fantastic but I need higher sensitivity speakers.  12 wpc only goes so far ;)  Also I still need to turn some wood feet and a volume knob for it.
  • PWRRYD said:
    I've been listing to it for a couple weeks.  It sounds fantastic but I need higher sensitivity speakers.  12 wpc only goes so far ;)  Also I still need to turn some wood feet and a volume knob for it.

I have wanted to build a speaker with 2x PM 220 vented or 2x PM180 in a TL enclosure with a nice ribbon. 12W would drive the shit out of something like that!
  • That would get loud for sure. 

I do have a pair of Peerless compression drivers mounted to 12" SEOS waveguides and a pair of Eminence Delta Pro 12A.  After BSL should still be around 92dB/2.83.
    MzissersonkennykFace
  • PWRRYD said:
    That would get loud for sure. 

I do have a pair of Peerless compression drivers mounted to 12" SEOS waveguides and a pair of Eminence Delta Pro 12A.  After BSL should still be around 92dB/2.83.
    That will be fun!
  • My original plan was to go active with MiniDSP.  But I think passive and driven with this tube amp might be cool.  I'll have to take some measurements and see how difficult the xo is.  This amp has decend dampening factor in the lower power triode mode, but the DF is pretty lousy in the higher power Ultralinear mode.  So it might suck.
  • Craig, so much respect for your tube amp design. I wish there is an idiot guide to tube amp building, but there isn't.
  • hongrn said:
    Craig, so much respect for your tube amp design. I wish there is an idiot guide to tube amp building, but there isn't.
    Hong, come on man. You are fooling no one. You coukd build one from a schematic. You ain't no fool! 

Its like a speaker, just more connections and more that can go wrong! Easy peasy. 
  • PWRRYD said:
    My original plan was to go active with MiniDSP.  But I think passive and driven with this tube amp might be cool.  I'll have to take some measurements and see how difficult the xo is.  This amp has decend dampening factor in the lower power triode mode, but the DF is pretty lousy in the higher power Ultralinear mode.  So it might suck.
    I though it would be eff enough for triode, no?
  • Yes probably plenty enough in triode mode.  And I agree with you Mike, everyone here could easily build a tube amp if given a decent schematic and general layout. Not much more difficult than a passive crossover.  The great thing about tube amps is their simplicity.  Very few parts and the tolerances are very forgiving.
  • Someone (Ani?) commented wishing there was a good place to learn more about tubes and tube amp circuits.  Well I happened to stumble across a very funny yet informative website at lunch.  Warning, the guy uses some colorful language, and doesn't dive super deep into the math/theory, but it's a fun way to learn some of the basics.  Start with the "Basics" tab and work down.  Shouldnt take more than an hour to go through all his pages.  His analogies are a bit weird.  If anything you'll get a good chuckle from his writing style :)

https://wtfamps.wordpress.com/welcome/
  • Thanks, will look into it. 
  • I think his banana analogy is a bit strange, but the rest just cracks me up.  
  • I suppose you'd rather I used an analogy to shiitake mushrooms because of all that potassium ;)

That page (volts, amps, ohms) could probably use a re-write, though. The analogy is a bit awkward. 
  • I found it hilarious and on point. Good stuff man!
  • Thank you!  I'm glad you found it useful. I started the website because there's so much stuff that's scattered all over the web and it's mostly not that friendly for beginners to tube audio. Plus the site gives me an excuse to keep building and designing stuff I don't in anyway need :)

By the way, killer looking amp PWRRYD! The Mikael Abdellah KT88 SET is a classic for a reason. I also have a KT88 SET as my daily driver amp.
  • trcose said:
    I suppose you'd rather I used an analogy to shiitake mushrooms because of all that potassium ;)

That page (volts, amps, ohms) could probably use a re-write, though. The analogy is a bit awkward. 
    My homie ohmie is in da house.
  • Wisconsin represent!
  • Great read, and the tone keeps it interesting and light hearted. Still going through the pages.
  • I love Wisconsin!  When to school in Milwaukee... great city.
  • I found it hilarious and on point. Good stuff man!
  • No worries Craig; AE isnt hear (i know it's here) to correct you.