Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New MCM Gradient Acoustics Speaker Drivers

I just got the new December MCM catalog, where the Gradient Acoustics drivers can be found on page 53. Quite impressive specs, especially the midrange series with SPL in the 90s. Check these out:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/54-845

MzissersonFace

Comments

• I hope to hell those specs hold water. They look really good. 

It is even frequently bought with an 1800uF NP cap! 
  • Maybe a speaker pwrryd would consider for his new amp build
  • They are pretty cool, when we received stock, this was one of the first ones I pulled to look at :)
  • edited December 2016
    Geoff, what's the Xmax on this driver? Couldn't be more than 2 or 3mm - that's my guess. Thanks.
  • hongrn said:
    Geoff, what's the Xmax on this driver? Couldn't be more than 2 or 3mm - that's my guess. Thanks.
    That's the odd thing about Gradient, they don't provide Xmax on any of their drivers, which I thought was odd.

You are pretty spot on about this one though, it is right at about that.

I will at some point try to get some more precise measurements going for xmax on these.

Best Regards,

Geoff Schneider
  • edited December 2016
    There's something very familiar about these drivers... :D

Glad to see these readily available.
    Ge_off_me
  • Face said:

where did you see these?
  • ani_101 said:
    Face said:

where did you see these?
    They've been available overseas for a while now.

But if you look at the frames, magnets, and even some of the cones...they have been for quite a while and should look familiar.
  • Well spit it out Face!
  • I'm seriously thinking about 2 of these in parallel, mated to a RS28A or a CD and waveguide for singing purposes. SPL of 99 and audiophile SQ? How can you beat that?
  • Wouldn't the RS28 be too low an SPL? A high efficiency ribbon or planar would be better match
  • You're right. Didn't have its sensitivity off the top of my head.
  • hongrn said:
    Well spit it out Face!
    Same build house as many Dayton drivers.  These drivers are the reason why so many wondered what took the RS-P series so long...
  • So anybody tried these or have any more opinions on these. I am interested in these, but hardly could find any builds with these. even though it's 6" driver, what's the possibility for crossing at 3k - 3.5k for a tweeter?

There is also a AXP-05 version which might be more suitable, but no FR or measurements are given. The Gradient Website, doesn't have a AXP-05 listed?!?
  • Am I blind or there's no drawing for this driver? http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-2669
    CAD drawing for frame cutout (like McMaster has for most of their parts) would be lovely.

• Am I blind or there's no drawing for this driver? http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-2669
    CAD drawing for frame cutout (like McMaster has for most of their parts) would be lovely.

No, you are not blind. We do not have those drawings for most of our drivers. I will look into getting the technical drawing for the driver.

Best Regards,

Geoff Schneider
    kennyk
  • Hi Geoff.
    Thanks!